BBA and Flourish

Dana

I note there are a few historical threads about BBA. Not alot about issues that were resolved though.

I have BBA, getting worse. Nitrates at 0ppm. Has anyone had success in getting rid of this manky stuff by adding Flourish?

I don't overfeed, clear fish waste twice per week so perhaps the phosphates are in my tap water? It's bore water so who knows what's in that stuff.

Any advice would be appreciated as the plants ain't looking so hot!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how are your nitrates at 0ppm????

even with 2 x weekly water changes and a heavily planted tank a 0 reading would be hard to achieve unless you have a ery understocked tank. (someone here is bound to contradict this though)

and yes Flourish EXCEL works wonders on BBA, many threads here on how it works, I think most were resolved (hence the end of the discussion), best way imo is to squirt it directly on it with a syringe.

nice and simple page

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/algae-control/removing-hair-algae.php

Perhaps I wasn't searching with the correct keywords. I know it's annoying when people start duplicate threads.

Test kit showed it went up to 5ppm about 3 weeks in, then dropped back to zero. Been like that since. That's on the no2 and no3 tests.

215ltrs, 4 dwarf gourami, 6 c/loach, 4 ghost cats and a bristle nose. I've been waiting for the level to increase but so far it hasn't. Although it's only 6 weeks old.

Something is out of whack though, brown algae and now this horrid thing. Seriously, my tank has more black curlies that the pits on my overweight aunt.

I'll pick up some flourish tomorrow. Some threads on other forums suggest a mild bleach treatment. No way lol!!

I just double dosed my tank with flourish but had very little success with it. It got rid of a little bit of what i think is bba in my tank , but def didnt work the way i hoped. I syringed it onto as much as i could and put the rest in the water column. Left it for 7 days but it never turned red and died off. I think i will have to live with it as flourish seemrd to be the most successful treatment i could find.

I just double dosed my tank with flourish but had very little success with it. It got rid of a little bit of what i think is bba in my tank , but def didnt work the way i hoped. I syringed it onto as much as i could and put the rest in the water column. Left it for 7 days but it never turned red and died off. I think i will have to live with it as flourish seemrd to be the most successful treatment i could find.

Are you sure the one you have is BBA and not a type of string algae?

and yes Flourish EXCEL works wonders on BBA, many threads here on how it works, I think most were resolved (hence the end of the discussion), best way imo is to squirt it directly on it with a syringe.

I hope you're all doing it like this, not just pouring it into the tank. If you are then give it a couple of days to die.

how are your nitrates at 0ppm????

even with 2 x weekly water changes and a heavily planted tank a 0 reading would be hard to achieve unless you have a ery understocked tank. (someone here is bound to contradict this though)

nice and simple page

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/algae-control/removing-hair-algae.php

You tell me, it was in the article you supplied :slfg:

WEIRD!!!

Tested before I used excel, ph7.6, ammonia, No2 and No3 all at zero.

Used excel, no other changes

Noticed a gourami is very slow and not eating tonight. PH is at 8.5, Ammonia is at 1.0ppm, N02 is at 2.0ppm and No3 is at 20!

Obviously water change has been done but what on earth has happened!!!