Small Plecos in NZ?

DennisP

Peckoltia pulcher and Vittata are quite common atm

Yeah Trade names can be a pain. Peckoltia pulcher is an incorrect trade name for the butterfly pleco, Dekeyseria brachyura, L168, and sells for close to $200. Peckoltia vittata is again not what it seems. I dont think real Peckoltia vittata's have been imported into New Zealand but clown plecos (Panaque sp. LDA67) has been imported under that name, and are much cheaper.

If you listen to the petstore staff you should be fine with a common sailfin, when I 1st setup a small 21ltr tank they sold me one and said it would be fine, that because the tank was small the pleco would stay small. Some people eh...

Sailfin pleco it is! How many do you think I could get away with? Perhaps 5? :slfg: :facepalm:

Yeah Trade names can be a pain. Peckoltia pulcher is an incorrect trade name for the butterfly pleco, Dekeyseria brachyura, L168, and sells for close to $200.

I have one for sale at work (imported as a pulcher) for $50, its pretty small though, have one imported as a vittata for $60 (a bit bigger)

I have one for sale at work (imported as a pulcher) for $50, its pretty small though, have one imported as a vittata for $60 (a bit bigger)

Interesting. The vittata is likely to be a clown pleco as they are often imported under that name. Not sure about the pulcher, butterfly plecos were imported under that name but at that price its probably something different. Do they look similar?

Was looking at some named P.Vittata today at the local nursery, definitely not them they were P.Maccus. $65 each, pretty high for a clown but still not a bad looking pleco. They also had a small royal for $150 damn I was tempted but don't have the room.

I've got a couple L002 that I might be willing to part with Dennis if your interested?

• 7 months later...