Apple Snails?

DennisP

Considering apple snails for my next tank.

After a quick search, there appears to be many different species of "Apple Snail" - some of which are more likely to eat plants.

What are the kind we get here? Is there a difference between Apple snails and mystery snails? And how likely are they to eat plants like Swords, Cabomba, Dwarf Sag, Hairgrass etc?

Also how likely are they to wander out of a tank with no lid?

I'm sure these questions have been asked and answered many many times... But the search feature didn't give me what I needed

have 2 common species (last time I checked) most commonly sold as the golden apple snail and the brown mystery snail. the Blue snails we see around are a colour morph of the brown snail. as far as I know the apples are Pomacaea caniculata and the mystery snails are Pomacaea bridgessi, although these ID's are very suspect and open to debate (I dunno if these names are still valid)

both will destroy any plant you put near them, thought the golden ones are a lot better at this.

they can escape but not unless the water conditions are really bad. although I would advocate a lid as they are quite inquisitive and can dissapear until bad smells help you find them.

If you keep them make sure you watch them closely, they tend to have individual personalities and can be good little pets.

feed them a diet high in protein, vegetable matter and calcium. pumpkin is good and can make the golden snails go a bit more orange.

Great answer :thup:

I get the feeling apple snails will be a no-no if I want any plants.

I only really want 1 or 2 this time around so I imagine the snails will munch them down pretty quick :(

Are there any interesting snail alternatives?

A definite no no for plants. Only other snails are the malaysian trumpet snails and ramshorn snails. Both are capable of multiplying rapidly. Why do you want a snail?