Surprise snails

Zuri_08

Hello

Earlier this week I found a snail in the tank! My initial thought was: who put it there? But it has probably been there for a while. After a bit of hunting on the internet, I think it is a Malaysian Trumpet Snail. Apparently these snails are excellent for the aquarium; they do not eat plants but help aerate the substrate, eat detritus and left over food that is underneath the substrate (info from: http://www.planetinverts.com/malaysian_ ... snail.html :sage: ).

My tropical aquarium is 5 weeks old and I am happy the snail is there; a surprise employee :-) :hail:

So,

1. Who else has a Malaysian Trumpet snail in their tank? (my snail could only have come from the pet store, so does everyone have these snails?).

2. Any interesting snail facts to share?

good lil guys, impossible to kill and they are good at aerating the substrate,

Negative is that they multiply insanely fast and normally take over the tank unless a loach or puffer is added.

interesting fact is that they are Livebearers.

Thanks for the info. The other day I found a second snail, and yesterday I spotted a tiny one, so that is 3 in total... but I don't know how many there were to start with or when they were introduced to my tank, but 3 isn't bad... :-)

Ok, with that photo now I understand... overtaking the tank, yep.

Well, I'll just have to see how these snails go in my tank... and if they start to over-run it then I'll be plucking them out myself, and I will get another employee (a loach to eat them).

Thanks for all the advice!

how big is the tank???, loaches really need to be kept in groups or else they tend to get depressed (yes seriously, if you have ever seen a loach that has been seperated from his mates the you will understand)

and don't get sucked in by the store assistant who recommends Clown loaches as they get too big for many tanks, try the striatas or chain loaches, these are the most common of the smaller snail eaters. there are plenty more out there, just make sure you research their maximum size well

how big is the tank???, loaches really need to be kept in groups or else they tend to get depressed (yes seriously, if you have ever seen a loach that has been seperated from his mates the you will understand)

and don't get sucked in by the store assistant who recommends Clown loaches as they get too big for many tanks, try the striatas or chain loaches, these are the most common of the smaller snail eaters. there are plenty more out there, just make sure you research their maximum size well

My tanks now seems way too small for tropical fish keeping; 28L.

I like the comment about the loaches getting depressed! I will be sure to get some as a group, eventually, but maybe not for this little tank ;-)

Keeping tropical fish has turned out to be far more complex than i first thought! It is fascinating though. And distracting. :-)

Great video, thanks for the link :-)

And I was thinking the snails would reduce the 'bio load', but if they add to it... that is something else to consider with the complex process of tropical fish keeping!!

If snails add to the bio load; is this because they also use oxygen?

Snail rid is copper sulphate which some fish are very sensitive to. Most shops down here no longer sell it as they have too many complaints about dead fish.Your snails will hide in the gravel during the day and come out at night. If you want to know how many you have then turn on the lights in the middle of the night.

Hello again

so a tank of 120cm (long) x 60cm (high) x 60cm (wide) is 'medium'??

To me that seems huge!

I worked out it would be 144L, and my 28L tank would fit into that 5x!

What size is considered to be a 'large' tank?

I do actually like the little fish and I like how my neons are schooling now too. I also like guppies and plan to get a couple of them at some stage.

Was that a list of other little fish, F15hguy?

Hello again

so a tank of 120cm (long) x 60cm (high) x 60cm (wide) is 'medium'??

To me that seems huge!

I worked out it would be 144L, and my 28L tank would fit into that 5x!

Don't know how you got 144L, there's no simple way to do the math wrong and get 144. Those dimensions give you 432liters. So your 28L bucket would fit about 15 times.

Don't know how you got 144L, there's no simple way to do the math wrong and get 144. Those dimensions give you 432liters. So your 28L bucket would fit about 15 times.

Oops; you are right, I put in the wrong number!

length x width = surface area

surface area x height = volume

volume / 1000 = liters

Now I think that size tank is gi-normous!

You could keep sharks in a tank that size?