temp controller trial 1200w

henward

Thermostats on Jagers don't work in a synchronous manner. So some turn on n off in different ttemps.

Trying a temp controller so all 1200w work synchronously (if that's a word) now.

I bumped up the heaters 2 degrees each to make sure it doesn't turn off while on and let controller control them.

Heats up to 28 and doesn't let temp drop below 27c.

Who uses temp controllers? Feedback and suggestions will be cool

I do in my chiller, keeps the temp within 1/2 a deg often it wont move more than .1 or .2 of a deg in the tank.

Be careful that the temp at the controller is not too different to beside the heaters, or are they all in the sump?

also you now have a single point of failure where before you had 4? independent systems that it wouldn't really matter if one failed.

I was using them to control a 4 ft tank divided into 6 parts with a bare tank bottom and a below tank heating mat of 300 watts as well as a 4 foot planted tank with sand media and heavily planted, with an undertank 300 watt heating mat. The control on the bare tank was pretty good (hysteresis about 1 degree), but the sand I discovered needed to be evenly spread and not too deep or the hysteresis extended considerably (probably about 5 degrees)

I wouldn't be too concerned about the reliability of the controller, its unlikely to overheat it because of the thermostats in the heaters (that said, I'd still suggest putting the sensor for the controller in the sump with the heaters, just in case your pump fails), and unless you're away for a long period of time you'd most likely notice if it wasn't switching on.

I'd like to run something like this for my next big tank, the MFK guys seem to think the Jehmco ones are pretty good.

*edit*

Here's the link; http://www.jehmco.com/html/temperature_controller.html

from what i gather they are all pretty generic in side, companies make the actual unit inside, and sensor, only the box and presentation is different.

i am using engineering grade stuff. father in law works for a large electrics company. see how it goes, i am monitoring it regularly.

but i agree, 1 poihnt of failure, in saying that, many overseas use this as their main heatng method but i am weary of that so dont get me wrong.

i found that there was extreme difficulty synchronising the heaers to turn on an d off.

so, this way, i have them all turning at once.

the sensor for the temp controller is in the over flow, just before it enters the sump. so it is taking temp readings from the tank itself, not in the sump.

by puttng the sensor by the heaters, i found by measuring 1200w of heating all on at once does affect the temp of that chamber, i didnt think it would, but definitely does, by almost 1 degree.

so having it by the over flow measures the water directly coming out of the tank i figure.

i have used 4 different thermometers to ensure the unit is measuring accurately as well. its all with in .1c of each other up and down.

the unit can handle 2200w of heating easily.

so for a bigger set up, i would prob get another couple of jagers and bring that up to 1800w of heating, mainly because it brings the temp back up faster when needed.

who has used one and failed ?

I think its a great idea, as you said have them set a couple of degsC above the required temp, so then if your pump fails you wont cook your sump, relying on inbuilt individual heater thermostats to cut out. And having a lower set backup on a separate power supply incase the controller unit itself fails..

Combine with a thermometer that has a hi/low temp alarm and any issues should be obvious reasonably quickly.

Sorted.

be careful of using a heater with a bi-metallic strip as your emergency back up as they can stick in the off (or on) position easily if they are not constantly changing

I think the vbackup heater Is great idea. It slows down the temp drop too.

So far working very well.. temp is good

• 1 month later...

I'd seriously consider flicking off the Jagers (or some of them) and just going for a single big heating element like Reef suggested, yes you lose the safety of a back-up inbuilt thermostat but they probably aren't that reliable anyway, especially when they're not being used regularly.