Which insurance companies will cover fish tanks?

Godly3vil

You must specify it in the policy for many.

We thought we were covered but were only covered for the tank itself, not the damage caused when it cracked. We changed to a "Premium" policy which would cover the damage as well.

Most insurance companies only pay out on damage done by water from a "normal" water source, not an aquarium ie a burst pipe or broken tap.

My insurance company could care less if I had one tank or 10. Just as long as the overall dollar value cover is sufficient. Get a good insurance company and one that doesn't make you specify silly stuff like a fish tank or 10.

And you're with?

I'm with AA and I claimed on a fish tank that cracked (from my own stupidity - rock slipped from my hand) and they paid out on that. Then the Feb earthquake hit and I also had tanks to claim as well as water damage to carpets and the other things like laptops that died from the water.

Was never an issue and they replaced everything with brand new ones.

And you're with?

Ditto.

Good point though, especially if my LL wants to replace the carpet, I'll need to check what my insurer will cover but I think mine was a blanket policy too without needing to specify everything. I'm with AMI.

I am with AA and when 1 of my 900L tanks broke they refused the claim on the grounds that it was faulty workmanship but paid out for a 2nd tank (240L) which was broken by the glass which travelled 4metres. Cost of replacement tank,filter and light was more than $1200. The irony is that I was trying to claim for my carpet to be cleaned at a cost of $300 which they also turned down claiming it was a fixture and not a fitting. They offered to pay out on my building insurance but the excess was higher than the cost. 2 years prior they paid out on the same type of claim when My 550L tank flooded the front room, someone left the hosepipe running for a very long time. :facepalm: :dunno: