Project AA

SamH

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Shell. No point buying something I wasn't happy with, I'd just end up buying the inline down the track anyway so might as well get it right the first time. You should really be jealous of the postal service who's delivering my heater cause it hasn't arrived yet :lol:

lol yeah, had 3 packages arriving over 3 days once, stayed at home throughout, one I missed cuz I was on the loo, one as I went to hang out washing and last one I caught as he walked up driveway as I was half naked running out from the shower.

hate those missed package notes

it really takes the fun out of getting parcels when you have to go and pick them up

It does actually! Mum was telling me about an idea in place around the world they're looking at bringing to NZ. Due to the growing online shopping trend and the fact that most people aren't home while the courier comes around, they've invented local drop off points where you can go and collect packages you might have missed.

Picked up four nuts and bolts, couldn't find any small ones so it's going to be a bit over engineered, hopefully have pics up tonight.

Also, got a bunch of driftwood soaking in the bath, some choice pieces there 8)

Lights

P9040002.jpg

The unmodified standard AA761 light hood.

P9040003.jpg

Very dirty underneath, algae and calcium deposits.

P9040006.jpg

Single T8 tube, 18W and probably 1.5 years old.

P9040010.jpg

Skylla approves of the light hood modification.

P9060013.jpg

Two Juwel 590mm reflectors, two T5HO Power Glo tubes and a T5HO Glo Ballast.

P9060014.jpg

The original plan was to put the reflectors inside the old light tube housing. Unfortunately they wouldn't fit and there wouldn't be suitable light spread so I had to change my plan.

P9060017.jpg

After a lot of slow work with the soldering iron, I removed the excess plastic that stopped the second light fitting into the hood.

P9070020.jpg

P9070024.jpg

Reflectors installed.

P9070025.jpg

P9070026.jpg

The light is blindingly bright.

P9070028.jpg

P9070030.jpg

I did notice a slight pink/purple tinge to the lights but hopefully this isn't too noticeable when the tank is planted. All up it cost me around $250 for the light installation.

Nice Sam, you need some black nail polish to paint on the exposed bolts, or can you put them up the other way so only the heads show at the top or are they too long? If this is the case let me know and I will see if there are any shorter ones in our workshop that I can send you.

And good to see Skylla being of no assistance what so ever :wink:

I think Mum only has blue, I could use sharpie or paint though. The other way round they're too long and hit the light tubes :nilly: I really want to cut them off but I broke and lost the hacksaw :oops:

She was assisting by keeping my work space warm :P

I think I'll work with what I have thanks F15hguy 8)

My filter arrived today 8)

P9100001.jpg

P9100005.jpg

P9100006.jpg

It fits nicely under the tank and rated at 1000lph, should give me x10 turnover 8)

There's a box of plastic fittings that I won't use because the lily pipes are on their way, I'll save them for my other HW-302 on my 4ft tank.

I hope you guys made a LOT of popcorn because I don't expect the international packages to arrive until next week at the earliest :P Just washed the three filter wool pads that came with the filter and put them in the first tray, rinsed some pumice and put it in the second tray, third and final tray will be filled with biological media from my 4ft tank.

My package from Fish-Street and my CO2 adaptor were sitting by the front door this morning so I assembled the CO2 rig, although I won't be using it for a while, and here's how it went.

P9120002.jpg

From left to right, CO2 regulator, adaptor and CO2 cylinder.

P9120003.jpg

Clear instructions for installing the adaptor.

P9120005.jpg

Regulator with solenoid.

P9120006.jpg

Adaptor before fitting.

P9120007.jpg

Adaptor fitted.

P9120008.jpg

O ring for between cylinder and adaptor is a must.

P9120009.jpg

O ring in place.

P9120010.jpg

Cylinder before being attached to the regulator via the adaptor.

Now when I attached the cylinder to the regulator, no CO2 came out. I adjusted the adaptor to allow CO2 out and when I reattached it to the cylinder, CO2 leaked from somewhere and gave me VERY cold hands. After a good half hour looking over it, another half hour with assistance and a further hour tinkering with it, an O ring between the adaptor and the regulator was fitted and all the connections were tightened.

P9120017.jpg

P9120018.jpg

The set up all connected snugly, tested it in a glass of water and it goes. I will need to fill up the bottle due to the huge amount of CO2 lost during the fitting but I don't need it for at least a couple of weeks so it can wait.