Sick WCMM

GrahamC

Should have posted this earlier ...

One of my remaining WCCMs had been swimming poorly for a month or so, and tending to swim to the left. Seemed also a bit large so I wondered if she were a female with eggs ( a fry appeared in the tank a month back ) No external signs of disease and ammonia levels undetectable.

Came back from conference on Sunday to find her at the bottom of the tank ( 50 cm deep ) lying there just rapidly breathing. And just occasionally swimming up a little before dropping back.

Since there is no current in this tank, and she was lying at the bottom of the wrong side of the Hamburg mat filter, I managed to get her into a floating breeder trap on the other side of the filter hoping to get higher O2 levels. However, the angels there must have spooked her and she did a jump landing into the bottom of the tank where I can not easily reach her. Unexpectedly she is still alive but not moving. Tank is set at 23 deg C.

Any suggestions?

try dropping the temp a bit,

have you reacently used a worming medication in the tank (or anything else)

when I had my outbreak reacently a few acted a bit like that before keeling over (never did find out what happened, everything ok now and new ones were fine last I saw)

4 days later she has reappeared and has managed to swim to the top of the tank where I scooped her out and put her back with her kind. Still can't maintain any buoyancy in that she has to actively swim to get anywhere otherwise she falls to the bottom of the tank.

She is now considerably thinner.

I wonder if she were egg bound ( 3 more fry have appeared in the tank ) and that has been causing the buoyancy issue.

She hasn't been fed now for a few days so maybe she will improve as the eggs get reabsorbed.

• 3 weeks later...

My 3 fry disappeared and then have reappeared at the same size. So, I wonder if these are different ones and the others died or got eaten. The female is again having problems with buoyancy and looks large so may be egg bound.

Should I attempt to remove the fry and raise them separately?

I have never found white clouds particularly voracious when it came to their fry but they do eat them if they are in the wrong place at the wrong time. If you want to raise them it might pay to separate them. If the tank is well planted with plenty of places for the fry to hide then I would leave them.

• 2 weeks later...

Daphnia are too big for the fry and WCMM fry don't need green water.

I have 20-30 fat breeders in a two foot tank where i have plenty of plant, water is enriched with tannins from driftwood, i keep the lights on extra long every day, stimulates the fish into thinking its summer and time to breed, this means on the surface there is quite a lot of algae growing that the fry nibble on from free swimming, not algae bloom. This tank is not heated but has a small power head in it. I feed combination of flake, microworms and BBS to the adults and the fry, the breeders are rarely separated from the fry except for over population. I constantly have different sized fish available to me. Once they reach about 1cm they grow quickly but its all about water changes and constant small feedings.

Have to be the easiest care free fish i've ever had the joy of keeping/breeding.