$75 to fit lid to tank

Jaide

Bracing and lids. I outlined exactly what I wanted in an email he said he'd come and have a look and we'd talk about it so that's what he did (that was Sunday) - he said he'd come back tonight and glue the bracing in and tomorrow he comes back with the lids, but on his way out he says the price is now $120 - because he had to travel to my place 3 times etc. etc. but he said in the original quote travel was included.

I don't know, if it's the going rate I'm happy to pay it but don't quote one figure and then charge another after the work is done - he should have said when we discussed it when he came around on Sunday it will now cost $120.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60170&start=0

...A new lid with bevelled edges to match the tank will cost $36.00 so not too expensive, so I will order it once I have some money because I spent everything while I was in Christchurch :P

Hopefully they won't break. If they do, they are pretty cheap to replace - only $18.00 per lid and that's including the bevelled edges

Does sound expensive

A quotation is an exact indication of the cost of a job. It is given by the trader and is binding on both parties if accepted. If a job takes longer than expected you can't be asked to pay the difference. Conversely, if a job takes a shorter time or uses less material than first thought, you will still have to pay the quoted sum. The law applies just as much to professionals as it does to trades. It always pays to get a quote in writing.

Well he glued the lid supports and bracing tonight and left the bracing clamp in place - he comes back tomorrow to remove the clamp and replace 2 of the lids. He took measurements while he was here on Sunday and had cut the lids but there was still a lot of cutting and such involved as he didn't do what I wanted in the first place so had to fix a few things - was here for over 2 hours! :nilly:

The quote was via text, I still have it and it's based on my long, wordy email about what I wanted.

Well he glued the lid supports and bracing tonight and left the bracing clamp in place - he comes back tomorrow to remove the clamp and replace 2 of the lids. He took measurements while he was here on Sunday and had cut the lids but there was still a lot of cutting and such involved as he didn't do what I wanted in the first place so had to fix a few things - was here for over 2 hours! :nilly:

The quote was via text, I still have it and it's based on my long, wordy email about what I wanted.

you have a txt from him which is proof of original quote so only pay him $75

Don't worry, I won't delete the text. When he was here on Sunday and we discussed what was involved in the job, if it was then going to be more work involved and so cost more - he should have said so then, not AFTER the work is done (or nearly done).

I've just sent him a nicely-worded email to that effect so we'll see what happens when he's due to arrive at 6pm tomorrow night.

I got a repy to my email last night to state that the bracing for the lids wasn't included in the price and he had to replace the existing central bracing as the glass was too thick (10mm whereas he works with 6mm glass). So he'd either have to build lids etc in 10mm glass, which would cost more, or do it all for 6mm which is what he had - I told him we'd use 6mm but he didn't say that removing the old brace and adding another would increase the cost as well.

Furthermore, I said in my wordy email to him when I explained what I wanted that he'd have to make supports for the lids and sent 4 photos of the top at different angles so he could easily see there were no support braces there at all.

Then there's still the travel issue - he has to visit my place 3x times he said when he factored in only once.

He also said that he had to spend more time on it as I wasn't happy with the holes for filter pipes and heaters. He had made circular holes for only the pipes to fit and heaters would go in a gap of the lid that was further forward of the tank and not right against the tank walls as I preferred, so I asked him to fix it as I didn't like it. All he had to do was cut out a corner in the corner of each brace so I was surprised with the circular holes. I thought we were clear on what was required so am surprised he got it quite wrong.

So, my response to him last night was that the support braces for the lids should have been included in the price as I made it plain that they'd need to be made (and it was apparent in the photos). As travel is such an issue to him, I said I'd return the brace clamp and pick up the lids (as that's all that needs to be done now) instead of him coming out to my place again.

So that's where i left it, then I went to bed. He's supposed to be coming around straight after when I get home from work tonight so will check emails to see what's what.

Can I suggest that you text him and tell him that you do not intend to proceed any further with the job as he has not done what was requested for the price he quoted and you are not prepared to pay extra. He would have known from the start how many trips he would have to make and should have been carrying all the gear/glass necessary.

Is he from a business or just self employed. If from a business I would contact them.

I find this travel charge is becoming more and more common with the likes of plumbers etc. You tell them what is wrong, they come out, go away, come back and charge extra for all the unnecessary mileage and time. Our plumber now makes sure he only does one trip!

His text says this: "Hi to come out and fix your tanks braces and lids would cost $75 this inc glass & travel."

He's now saying he wants to charge me for removing a partition in another tank. In our email exchange, I had said: "do you have a good (or know) an easy way to remove siliconed partitions? I have a corner that’s been sealed off in another tank and would like your advice on the best way to proceed" and he replied: "To remove silicon is easy with a razor blade i will bring one with me." But when he came out, he started scraping the outside to remove silicon stuck to the glass (there wasn't any) so clearly misunderstood a very clearly explained email from me, when I explained what I wanted (remove the partition) he realised he misunderstood but removed it for me anyway. NOW he suddenly wants to charge for it! So I've pointed out that he should have said it would be another charge once he realised what it was I wanted before doing it, or showed me how to do it and left me to it.

He wants to charge $20 for removing the partition and waiving the rest of the extra charges.

He builds tanks as a hobby and sells them on TM.

If you dont mind me asking is this computerman5?

Yes it is - do you know something about him James? I bought a fighter from him a while ago - he assured me the one I got was veil tail but it wasn't (and it didn't look it to me at the time but who was I to question the breeder?) - however, the fighter is a cool wee fish who just bobs about the tank and I love him :)

Yes I made it plain that I wouldn't pay anymore and did he want me to drop the clamp off etc. (as clearly he wasn't happy about coming to my place again) and now he's tried to put the s**ts up me about removing the clamp properly or I could damage the tank :roll:

Yeah i purchased 7 sterbai's off him the auction was for $8, so i assumed they were all $8 each, as he said in the auction "the winning bidder has the option to buty more if they like", so when i had done buynow and rung him he tells me it was only the one for $8, and all the rest were $10, i think he should have stated that in the auction, i also know another person that had heaps of trouble with him about payment of other fish related things, they also found him rather rude.