No nitrates?

amb44

Hello,

I have been having a few issues with my new tanks recently, with ammonia and nitrites appearing. I know the reasons why I think (1 tank I have been accidently changing too much water so restarted the cycle; the second tank is in the midst of cycling). I have upped my water changes to about 10% every two days and now the ammonia and nitrites in both tanks are zero. The thing is that nitrates are not showing up. All my readings are zero. I would have thought that with the nitrites being at zero that must mean that nitrates are present? Is this wrong? I'm not really sure what is happening here, so if somebody could explain that would be great! I should add that the problems were discovered last week so not long. Also in the second tank I did have a nitrite reading (5.0ppm) a couple of weeks ago so did a 20% mid-week water change which seems to have stopped everything in its tracks.

Thanks very much,

Amy

Tank 1 is a 38l, with one male betta and one 5cm bristlenose.

Tank 2 is 54l and has 10 neon tetras and 4 apple snails. (I only found out that tetras aren't that hardy after I had already bought them).

Tank one originally had 4 apple snails, 5 tetras and the betta in it, and had finished cycling (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, around 40ppm nitrates). Then I bought tank 2 and added the snails for about a week, then the tetras, and after 10 - 14 days I bought 5 more tetras. The plan is to move the catfish and maybe the betta into tank 2, and have the snails back in tank one.

Amy

I suspect the 10% water changes may have something to do with it. Nitrates are lessened with water changes, and so the frequent changes are probably dealing to the nitrates. I wouldn't worry about it, so long as ammonia and nitrites are 0 your fish should be happy enough.

Keep up the water changes (once a week or so), don't over feed, and you can probably stop testing so often. Some people (like me) don't test at all - you'll get to know your tanks and it may not be necessary.

had acouple of test kits dud out on me before, I'm using tha aquaone one now, its not very accurate but It always gives a reading, and really you dont need to know exactly how much there is, just if there is any (I rate the tests on a None, some change time and whoa scale)

Thanks everybody, you've all reassured me! Now to add more fish (slowly of course!). I will keep an eye out but stop testing/changing water every couple of days. When I do test, I will make sure I shake the bottles a lot as currently I only give a quick shake before doing the long shake of the test tube.

Amy

you should never shake the test tube, just tip it upside down a couple of times till the water changes colour.

If you dont shake the API test tubes with the Nitrate kits you get dodgy readings. It is only the nitrate tests that need the shaking. All the rest just need the tip up technique.

Ah...I think I have found the problem...I have for whatever reason started shaking the tubes vigorously when testing for ammonia and nitrites. I went and retested and turned the tubes up and down a few times; lo and behold I have an ammonia reading of 0.25ppm...guess I have seriously kickstarted the cycle again *sigh*

Thanks again everyone.

Amy