solar powered air compressor

GrahamC

Not designed to run continuously. Will overheat and cylinder will seize up after a while.

12V applications like a fridge (which is basically just a compressor) also have a realy high initial voltage. Chances are good that this thing won't even start off your solar panel. But if you go panel => solar controller => batterie => compressor it could work. The batterie will buffer and provide the high initial voltage and after that it's back to low voltage - but see first two sentences ...

JaSa

I've got a battery powered air pump but it's 3V, and I can't find a 3V panel. Stepping a 12V panel down would just be reducing the efficiency by 75%.

If it's not designed to be run 24/7, then no more to be said. I would have hooked this up in parallel with a car battery. I take it you meant a solar regulator to prevent the battery from being over charged?

Maybe I can use this one http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=ZM9200 to run a small fountain instead?

most solar panels put out low voltages anyways, and should have an inverter to bring them up to 12V

modifying the inverter should fix the issue

also an option would be a wind generator made out of a medium sized stepper motor connected to an inverter to a battery system. Avoid car batteries as they have a very short lifespan if used this way, you will need a deep cycle battery to get decent lifespan

most solar panels put out low voltages anyways, and should have an inverter to bring them up to 12V

modifying the inverter should fix the issue

that might be beyond my skill set at present :(

also an option would be a wind generator made out of a medium sized stepper motor connected to an inverter to a battery system. Avoid car batteries as they have a very short lifespan if used this way, you will need a deep cycle battery to get decent lifespan

I had the first wind turbine in Karori about 13 years ago. I was threatened with a $30k fine if I left it running .... noise in peak wind was about 100 db! :slfg: Inverter is now in the shed. Gel batteries have gone flat due to non use :(

its 3w so you could replace it with a couple of cheap garden light ones eventually

The garden light ones are only good for like 100-200mw Why stuff around with the time and materials needed to wire together 30 of them when you could get a single, more reliable panel for a few bucks more?