Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

dying fish

Featured Replies

my bro has a pair or xxl kissing gourami and one of them is on its last legs, we have had these fish since i was living at home so im pretty sure its just old age. is there a humane way to kill a fish? my brother is only 10 so he doesnt want to watch it die over a week. help??? the other kissing has just left it alone, which i think is really unusual coz they have been togetther since day 1.

Have heard of poeple putting them in the fridge, some think it is mean cause it takes a while for them to die, others say it is ok cause they just slow down then go to sleep and die.

The fridge wouldn't kill them but the freezer would. I think the freezer's rather inhumane because some fish can stand lower temperatures, so they might even be conscious when ice crystals start to form.

Alright if ya don't like blood,

just put it into a plastic bag and slam it into a concrete floor or similar.

Alan 104

My thoughts on the freezer thing

If I was going to do that for a fish, I think I would prepare a bucket of ice water (0 degree water with some icecubes etc).. then dunk the fish in it.. it's going to be a heap more effective than putting it in the freezer imo anyhows.

(I haven't done this, but thinking about it I think it would be faster for the fish)

I don't think dunking them straight into icewater would be more effective, probably about the same. But it would be more of a shock to them, they DO seem to notice the cold water. If it's a big fish I usually put them in a container of cool tapwater and then into the freezer. A small one I usually use a cup of tankwater. I kinda think the least I could do for them is to not shock them putting them into freezing water.

you know this sound bad but it is very quik and the fish feels no pain !

throw the fish hard on to concrete it's all over .

i do this when fishing to put the lights out before gutting !

do you want to muk around or releave the fish of it's condition ?

  • Author

im not worrid about the mess im a spearfisherman so im well used to killing fish. i just thought there mite be a drug or somethin, but it sounds like ill be getting the iki stick out.

I use boiling water, put them in net and pour the water over them, all over in a matter of seconds and no blood.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.