White worm like things on skin, HELP

snapperhead

I recently bought a new blackmoor fish along with 2 others and a mussel. The blackmoor fish has these white worms attached all over the body and tail. They range from 0.5-1mm in length :o , they are very tiny and have about the width of single strand of hair. They are all over the body including the tail and especially around the eyes. One of my other fish that I bought along with the blackmoor has it too, but not a lot of them, just on around the eyes. They are very noticeable on the blackmoor, so I can't be 100% sure that my two other white goldfish (my original ones before I got the new fish)doesn't have them . The blackmoor is feeding well and behaving normally. The worm like things also seem to be moving! I will try posting pictures on the weekend, but I doubt my camera will be able to take a picture of something so tiny.

Could it be possible that the mussel could have brought it in?

Sounds like Dactylogyrus or Gyrodactylus (flukes) which can only be identified with a magnifying glass. The latter has four head organs instead of two and only affects the gills so I would suspect Gyrodactylus which has live young rather than eggs and is the easier of the two to treat. A bath of potassium permangenate at 2 parts/million (2mg/litre) for several hours will kill either but you need to siphon the bottom of the tank to remove any that have let go and fallen to the bottom of the tank. Best to treat the whole tank as other fish are probably affected as well. Treatment may kill any plants and probably the mussel as well but not sure about the latter.

Sounds like Dactylogyrus or Gyrodactylus (flukes) which can only be identified with a magnifying glass.

Are flukes visible to the naked eye?

How about grabbing the Black Moor, and scraping one of these things off, and look at it under a magnifying glass?

Or, if you suspect it came with the mussel, it might be easier to grab that and inspect it.

Heres the images,

http://postimage.org/gallery/3bl2cacg/

Also one of my fish that I bought has a weird lump on the side, what could it be?

The worm things have grown and are also on the glass of the tank, they are bigger about 3mm moving around.

I can clearly see the flukes on the fish with the naked eye, but have to go really close.

Also does the blackmoor have fin rot? (Shown on one of the pictures.

The blackmoor along with another fish have been rubbing their sides on the glass and on the sand.

What treatment should I use??

:thup:

Good on ya lads.

Get onto that Prazi (Good link Graham!), that a pretty bad case you've got going, may need a couple treatments...

Oh, and not fin-rot,yet...

Probably just the skin peeling back (very soft) over those protruding spines from scratching against things in the tank, but watch it doesn't become infected.

Prazi will help with that a little bit too, but if you do get some fungus, treat with malachite green, or methylene blue... fungus can lead to fin rot, treatment is the same, but fin rot would look more "tatty" and red streaks down the veins of the fins.

That bump, the scale looks just lifted slightly, but otherwise alright, again, no infection or anything I can see from that photo, yet...

Just keep the water as clean as you can with extra water-changes while they recover to prevent white-spot or other stress-induced illness...