215L Planted Tank update 15/12/12 Pg 2 - Tiger Lotus Flower

BrendanNSANZ

Cheers for the feedback.

Agree re the Apistos, definitely going to stock something vibrant. Am going to wait until the tank is more grown in before introducing anymore stock.

Keep an eye on the trumpet snails they can multiply quickly

Roger that, little buggers have already begun multiplying like crazy. Fortunately I can spread their numbers across the other tanks or just crush them up for food.

• 1 month later...

Update:

Tank has been rearranged and a dash of red added to the left side and also along the back. Unfortunately I gassed all of the stock in this tank not long after the previous update. I drained the tank and left emmersed for a month as I had hair algae galore and just couldn't seem to get rid of it, the glosso melted as a result but is starting to come back now.

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

Did you leave the glosso in there as it was when it wiltered?

Any tips as I have one I bought doing the same. Not sure if it will bounce back.

Really want to grow this plant.

First time I had seen it at a shop here.

Yes the glosso was left in the tank when it wilted, it only melted when the tank was changed to emmersed. Glosso requires medium to high light otherwise it will grow up toward the light. High CO2 levels are recommended and regular pruning is required. You should avoid it being shadowed by any surrounding plants. As it grows it can become quite a thick mat and the upper leaves will shadow the lower growth and the lower growth will become suffocated as a result, this will cause the suffocated growth to rot.

Are you injecting CO2? Are you dosing nutrients? Water params? Lighting?

pretty much avoid larger cichlids, if you want red try cockatoos, Serpaes and red phantoms look kinda washed out in shop tank (for some reason) but in a planted tank go a stunning deep red. serpaes however can be a bit nasty sometimes.

imo if you want a nice colour without being too gaudy try Lemon tetras, a bit more subdued but absolutely amazing, and the orange on the dorsal doen't look natural its that bright

• 1 month later...
Looking good dude, have you thought about dwarf sag for a carpet plant instead of glosso? If you still wanted a carpet that is.

Cheers mate.

The reason for removing the glosso was it made the tank look a bit too washed out with green. Adding the rotala brings a bit more colour against the green backdrop. Once the java and anubia fill out a bit more it should make the rotala pop out of the tank, thats the goal anyway.

• 1 month later...