Freshwater shrimp In Auckland

Mcculloch

Yeah I was draging the nets I had through the weed, I tryed all sorts found it really strange that I didnt see a single one.

I have set up a 200L tank in the shade outside for them and I was going to have go at spawning them.

I'll just have to try again sometime.

It will be difficult to breed them in captivity as they need to be in the estuaries for part of their juvenile lifecycle.

Interesting observation about the females dying, F15hguy. I have only taken one female with eggs and she certainly died dramatically soon after (babies gone and all her appendages missing!)

in the last lot I had 2 ripe females, both started digging under the plants as soon as they got into the tank, next day the first one was dead, no eggs left on her but you could see her all open up underneath where she was holding. the second one her eggs all went pink then she died a day later. every other one is still alive, both males and females. I thin k the babies died when she didn't release them which killed the mothers.

Where I normally get them there is no real transition from fresh to salt, it is just a coastal stream the flows across open sand down the beach till it finds the surf. There might be a little salt from wind blown spray and sand but I doubt that it is much.

This leads me to believe that it might be doable?