Q's to do with silica sand and a variety of other things.

snapperhead

OK, hmmm where to start? :cofn: I'm also not a beginner and not an expert.

Well I just got a new tank that is just for my cold water inhabitants. I am looking into getting freshwater shrimp/mussels, borneo suckers, mountain minnows, more goldfish and more snails.

OK the questions, are all of these compatible together and along with silica sand as the substrate?

I've read that silica sand will need to stirred up from time to time because of harmful gases such as methane. How often does this has to be done? And how can it be done if it is planted with established plants with roots? How can I prevent the sand from getting sucked up into the filters?

Also is silica sand a good choice for pleco fish? (pleco is in tropical tank)

A few comments about the intended setup

fantails and hillstream loaches (borneo sucker) really like quite different flow rates. I just setting up a tank for mine with much more flow - 3200l/h in a 50l tank, see viewtopic.php?f=4&t=59465

Read up on our freshwater mussels as Sophia said in the other thread - they can be very difficult to keep feed.

Freshwater shrimp (our native one is Paratya curvirostris) are cool, but often become live food

I wouldn't worry about a silica sand substrate, I have a deep sand substrate in one of my tanks that never gets stirred up

fantails and hillstream loaches (borneo sucker) really like quite different flow rates.

I have a large piece of driftwood that separates about half of the tank, with a powerful filter that is on one side of the tank that has a high amount of bubbles being pumped out at the same time. The other side of the tank is quite calm.

Read up on our freshwater mussels as Sophia said in the other thread - they can be very difficult to keep feed.

I have got multiple ideas on how to feed them, 1) I have a small container about the size of butter containers, that the sides are completely covered in algae with holes on the sides.

1a) the container will be placed next to it

1b) the container will be placed on top of it

2) the mussels will be placed in a container that is full of green water

2a) green water will be added to the tank

2b) green water will be squirted into the opening of the mussel

I have used sand as a substrate in many tanks for many years in heavily planted tanks and have never stirred it up or had any problems.

me too

the loaches will be ok in a tank without an exciting water flow but they are so much more animated with some current. Seeing the fish behaving like they are 'happy' always makes me feel like I'm doing right by my pets, even though I keep them in a tank when they'd rather be in the wild.

Another is maybe don't have the goldfish in there and just have the fish with slim bodies - minnows, loaches - and the shrimps. The shrimps will meander about wherever they like and are fun to watch too. If you look through my dwarf chain loach thread there are some photos and videos of the shrimps I had. Also if you search on phoenix44 and have a look at his planted goldfish tank that might inspire you to do something different for your goldfish if you liked my idea but still want to keep both sets of fish.

But I see you say 'more' goldfish.... maybe you already have an exciting collection..... time for some photos I think :bounce: :spop:

I wouldn't worry about a silica sand substrate, I have a deep sand substrate in one of my tanks that never gets stirred up

How deep is the sand? It never gets stirred up until the bottom? Has this been a set up that you have used for a long time with no problems? If the sand doesn't need to be stirred up manually, than i'll be happy! :happy2: :happy1:

Please excuse the reflections and algae etc (will never win PoTM)...

DSCN0483.JPG

Tank is 600 high so the sand is nearly 150mm deep at the deepest point, sand is a mostly black iron sand so is finer and denser than silica. Some people insist that sand is bad or needs stirring etc

Silica sand looks great I have it in 2 of my tanks. That said in my opinion silica sand and plants do not go well together. It gets dirty quick and needs stirring from time to time to look clean, never had problems with gasses but when you buy it by the bag from source you lose approx. 30% from washing to stop it from being sucked into your filter.

Be aware that if you keep fresh water mussels you will be volunteering to watch them slowly starve to death. As stated earlier they are filter feeders and will filter massive volumes of water, far more than you will get in an aquarium. and when they die the polution in your tank will be unbelievable.

i've got silica sand in my planted tanks too, never really worry about stirring it up as the africans move it around enough, i do find over time i loose a bit of sand from gravel vacuuming, but other than that don't have any problems with it... can look a bit yuck if theres not much flow as all the crud sits on top