Co2 question

glennn

The question is for my set up is a pressurized system worth it?

My tank is a 750 liter tank with largish Clown loaches and a large grumpy common Pleco

I love the planted aquarium and currently stock some beaten up swords, crypts and java fern, would love these to flourish (well grow faster than the inhabitants can rip them to bits anyway) I have a plant refuge tank that they get moved to to recover when they get too bad

The tank has had a problem with with bba in the past and I double dose with flourish excel once a week which seems to keeping it at bay for now, the side effect being that it has helped the growth rate of said shabby looking plants.

I dont really want to run the lights 8 hours a day so would half that be enough for reasonable growth?

So with pressurized co2 and a 4 hour photo-period would that be enough to see results?

Cheers

Have you got any pics? your set up sounds the same as mine and i have the same problem my clowns destroy anything with a large leaf!!! i have just put a $50 bunch of tiger lotus in which was a real fun game for them :evil:

I have a pressurised co2 system on mine and haven't noticed any change in plant growth.

i'm just learning with plants so cant really give advice on light time etc but i think crypt and java fern only need low light so they should be fine

IMO i wouldn't bother with CO2 unless you increase the photoperiod, 4 hours is really too little for all but sciophytic plants

Yeah, you want growth you need to crank up the lighting to more like 12 hours.

Yeah, you want growth you need to crank up the lighting to more like 12 hours.

It depends on the amount of light you've got pumping in i think...

I had a photoperiod of 6 hours (2.30 - 8.30pm) and got good growth with 4 x 36W CFL's in a 70G tank (i know watts/gallon is an unfavoured term now but i don't own a PAR meter...).

This was in response to battling (and losing) an algae war with 4 x 55W CFL's on for 12 hours. I read that light drives the ecosystem in the planted tank, so I dropped things down (period and wattage) to the lowest point I thought would still achieve good growth without the imbalance. I have pressurized CO2 and dose using the EI method.

I then slowly increased things to a point where I can now report, that aside from the occasional BBA appearance, I now have a balanced happy tank, with good growth. :happy2:

7 hours - the lights come on at 2.30, go off at 9.30pm.

If I was to offer my two cents Glenn, give pressurized a go. You're going to need to get a carbon source into your tank if you want healthy plant growth. And with a tank that size, i'd suggest that dosing with Flourish Excel will be more expensive than cutting your lights down to save money.

The other positive, is that you learn what works and what doesn't in your particular set up. If you're keen on a planted tank, then from my experience, there isn't any half measures in terms of the equipment. But having got the gear, tinkering is the name of the game until balance is achieved, and that is a great learning process.

I'd agree with the previous posts though - clowns and planted tanks don't get along... :-?

Cheers Peeps for your input

so the decision really is clowns or plants

If i get rid of the clowns then would prolly move towards Discus

Which in turn means getting rid of the rest of the fish in the tank as the rest of the tank mates wouldn't like living in a hothouse

Tough choice :tears:

Cheers again

Hi Glenn

I have:

Tiger lotus 60cm (with 2 pups)

Cabomba

Java fern

Indian fern

Crypts

Hydro

Amazonicus horizontalis

Anubias

Christmas moss

Amazon swords

Another one like babies tears, forgot the name of it.

What plants are your clowns destroying?

Mainly the crypts and tiger lotus,

The java fern doesn't seem to do well in that tank

And the swords seem to get beaten up

I prolly shouldn't put all the blame on the clowns as there is a large common pleco in the tank too

I am still wavering on a proper co2 unit, if anything it will help to keep the bba away and costing it over 2-3 years would be cheaper than flourish excel!