Scott Guy murder case

Are we allowed to discuss the trial and evidence of the case on this site or will it be a breach of the law?

If so, Mods please remove.

If not...

I decided to read up on all the evidence this morning over a cup of tea and it seems to me the prosecution have a very weak case and I'd be surprised if Ewen Macdonald is found guilty, does anyone else have an opinion?

I'm not sure if they've presented enough solid evidence to convict for the murder - he should still be prosecuted for the arson, vandalism and theft. Either way it's ripped a family apart in a very public way.

I've been following it pretty closely. I suspect that he is guilty, but the evidence is all circumstantial. However I think it was very telling that the defences closing statement basically said that even if you think he probably did it, that's not enough. It's really going to depend on the jury. If I was a betting man I'd put money in them finding him guilty. While the evidence is circumstantial, it is certainly damning and it destroys macdonalds credibility. I guess we just have to wait and see

IMO he certainly doesn't look like an innocent man, but I don't think the evidence is solid enough to convict him. There is always the possibility he paid someone to do it, or had someone helping him. The farm hand wasn't on good terms with Guy either...

completely agree david. i'd compare this case to the scott watson case. i suspect watson was guilty but felt there wasn't enough solid evidence to get a conviction, yet the jury found him guilty. i guess the issue is that regardless of where reasonable doubt starts and ends it all comes down to the opinion of 12 people

also missing wads from the pellets aswell who ever fired it must have known to get rid of them ay

Yeah they only showed two on tv. One was found in the throat, and one by the fence. Which is how they identified the brand of ammunition.

Oh wait, you said they were missing? We are talking about the Scott Guy murder.

The jury may get a fuller picture than what we get on the tv. But if the dude says to the police, "if you get the person responsible for the arson and the badly spelt graffiti then you get the killer", and then the same dude owns up to the arson etc..........

It just makes you wonder.

Whatever the outcome though, Nav makes a damn fine point.

It just seems to me the police have decided that Ewen is the murderer and are trying to make the evidence fit around him.

Most of the witnesses say they heard the gun shots (some say 1, some 2 and some say 3 shots) at about 5am, in which case Ewen has an alibi as he was at the shed with a temp worker at that time.

But the police have maintained the shots were closer to 4.45am

A smoked cigarette was found at the site but no DNA testing was carried out.

An unsavoury man had been seen and spoken to on a nearby property who was asking for Scott a few days before his murder.

One suspect was ruled out by the alibi of a woman who smoked up to $3000 of methamphetamine a week and admitted threatening to kill a police officer and their family. Detective Sergeant David Thompson agreed police used her statement as the sole alibi for a man linked to an aggravated robbery and firearms crimes ahead of Mr Guy's death.

Ewen wears a size 9 shoe and it has been proven the dive booty foot marks were more likely a size 12 (extra wavy lines)......

There's no doubt Ewen is a bit of a Dork, burning down and vandalising the buildings and especially shooting some neighbours deer was not cool but it's a big step from there to murder.

Of course as someone mentioned that doesn't mean he didn't arrange to have Scott murdered by someone else.

The evidence is all based on macdonald because it is macdonald being tried for murder. The boot has been confirmed by forensics to be 9 to 11 based on the waves, so macdonalds pair fit that profile. The police have testified that they followed through with other leads but they didn't go anywhere. The police spent 9 months investigating so you're not going to get a sense of everything they have done based on the trial (even less so from media coverage of the trial). I think that realistically there is some doubt, but whether it's enough for the jury to consider reasonable doubt, only time will tell. I know that I'd have a hell of a time deciding if it were up to me

Reasonable doubt will be the key to this case I think. Especially based on the fact that we only saw what the media want us to see.

And yes if there were more shots there would have been more wads, but from experience, that are difficult to find.

If one was that organised, one could have loaded their own shells and used a paper wadding, that would never have been found.

IMO this is getting far too much attention. It's not an issue affecting the nation as a whole, just the Guy and MacDonald families really. Yes someone was killed and yes it's a mystery but I think daily updates on it are far too frequent for such a small case.

Apparently the Euro got saved as well, so the imminent failure of the western financial systems has been delayed / prevented. At least it made it to the news.

If its not scandalous our main news outlets don't really want to know, hence all the attention.

IMO this is getting far too much attention. It's not an issue affecting the nation as a whole, just the Guy and MacDonald families really. Yes someone was killed and yes it's a mystery but I think daily updates on it are far too frequent for such a small case.

What I'd like to hear is what happened up the road from me, all I've heard is that apparently someone was shot in Whiteman's valley, but that's it.

Apparently the Euro got saved as well, so the imminent failure of the western financial systems has been delayed / prevented. At least it made it to the news.

If its not scandalous our main news outlets don't really want to know, hence all the attention.

hrmmm didn't hear that one, maybe missed it as it was less important than 2 rich girls beating each other, a farmer murder or the telephone mills of MPs