Can NZ support/need another import facility?

jc254

Just graduated from uni now and the job market is very tight for my choice in jobs, so looking for something to do. I work full time but thinking about taking on my own small business.

I know people talk about doing this but I am seriously thinking about doing this at the start of next year once I have saved up a wee nest egg, but financially its not a issue.

My question is New Zealand able to support another importer?

Looking at freshwater and marines with a breeding room for goldfish.

what do you think, can NZ support another one?

It will not be easy as the Maf requirements are tougher than they used to be and you will have to compete with others that already have established clients. As far as I can tell many people in Christchurch are right over fish at the moment so your main market may be out of town but good luck.

And then you'll be swamped with people wanting you to bring in dozens of rare expensive species, insisting they'll happily pay $100 each. Then after you've spend tens of thousands setting up the facility and brought in thousands of dollars of livestock, spent weeks quarantining them...You'll sell two fish for $50 each and everyone else will say variations of, "Oh, Uhh, I had some big bills come up recently, I don't have the cash now. Maybe next time?"