Slightly Elevated Nitrite

Faithbleed

Hi All,

I'm currently running a 300L marine tank and have started with 2 baby clowns then added 3 chromis a week later

I've been testing over the past 3 weeks and all results have been good, however 4 days ago I started to detect Nitrite.

Last test was about 0.025ppm. I expect this is a result of the bioload finally being kickstarted thanks to the chromis.

I'm doing a 30% water change today, but just wanted to seek advice to see if theres anything else I should be doing/concerned about?

Cheers

Dave

Hi All,

I'm currently running a 300L marine tank and have started with 2 baby clowns then added 3 chromis a week later

I've been testing over the past 3 weeks and all results have been good, however 4 days ago I started to detect Nitrite.

Last test was about 0.025ppm. I expect this is a result of the bioload finally being kickstarted thanks to the chromis.

I'm doing a 30% water change today, but just wanted to seek advice to see if theres anything else I should be doing/concerned about?

Cheers

Dave

Surprised your test kit even registers that low a concentration of nitrates. I'd have thought that would be about the normal trace levels of a cycled tank. Your tank won't be remotely cycled after just a week.

+1, takes months to correctly cycle a tank. Fish should never be added until you see levels go up and back down and you can detect nitrate. Min of a month, more like 6 weeks, patience required with salt water tanks - it sometimes takes 3-4 weeks before the cycle even starts.

Put the pitch forks away, tank has fully cycled about a 1 1/2 months ago, tank cycled for approximately 6+ weeks.

Water params have been fine since the cycle, nitrates were a little high, but have been steadily coming down.

I guess I'm just a bit overly cautious as I've had a zero nitrite reading since the cycle finished and this is first reading with anything detected.

I'm using Salifert test kits and they've been reliable up till now, so I don't think they're the problem, but if I can source another brand of test kit I'll do that.

Current Reading are thus:

PH: 8.2

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0.025

Nitrate: 2.5

Phosphate: 0

Salinity: 1.0235

Temp: 26

I've been testing over the past 3 weeks...

Read that on its own and you'll see where the assumption came in...

Agreed, probably shouldn't assume, but the number of times the old salt-dogs round here see exactly this in our lifetime is shocking...

Try to ignore the pitchforks, it seems to be happening to everyone who asks for advice lately.

You've been here all of how long and you're already pointing fingers and passing comment? Really?? :-? :roll:

Honestly, it reactions like this that make me just want to give up trying to help anyone ever again...

Back to the case at hand...

Water changes are all you need. The Nitrite reading you have is tiny, and nothing to be too alarmed about, just keep an eye on it, it most likely a mini-cycle probably caused by the addition of the Chromis. You should get a nitrate reading in a few days, not withstanding water changes reducing all your nitrogenous readings...

People gave advise based on what was posted, none was nasty or anything like it, but still the heros with there "everyones mean to me" start again - gets boring after a while.

Cricket's right, given the new info, water changes are the way to go, make sure your skimmer is tuned to skim green, and watch your food.