Hi.....

jan3y11

Hi all.

My partner and I are from Tauranga and are in the process of setting up to breed cichilds. He has a plan to set up a rack that holds 6 60L tanks and run them from a sump. :dunno: Completely confusing to me, but he seems to know what he's up to! I'm completely new to tropical fish, while he's a bit of an old hand! We're both students at BOP Poly (him Marine Studies/me Conveyancing), so this is pretty much a way to make extra money and a way to distract ourselves from the studying we should be doing!!!!!

We currently have 4 tanks set up:

A 60L community with 3 Neons, 5 baby Kribensis (Pelvicachromis pulcher), a lonely little male Apistogramma trifasciata (unfortunately his mate died the day after we got them, but we're very keen to replace her!), 3 Golden Bristlenose and we just added a pair of Wild Kribensis (Pelvicachromis taeniatus) which I am super excited to start breeding! :bounce:

A cute little 20L tank with a few Platties and a random Swordtail.

Another 60L tank which is just waiting on a heater and will become our cichlid tank, bring on the Electric Yellows!

And..... A 40L tank which I have set-up in contemplation of breeding Axolotls.

Eventually we're gonna be asking heaps of questions about sumps, so hopefully ya'll will be able to help us!

:wave: Another from Tauranga??? Must be something in the water up there (and not from the Rena either!)

I understand the setup but not sure how you plan to make extra money from fish keeping.

Welcome to The Fishroom.

Note the Bay Fish & Reptile Club has a meeting coming up this Sunday and you would be most welcome...

17th June 2012, and it is by New World Supermarket in Brookfield. This is directions from Shell or Z in Bethlehem.Shell Bethlehem

253B State Highway 2

Bethlehem, Tauranga 3110

1. Head east on Tauranga West Rd/State Highway 2 toward Bethlehem Rd

Continue to follow State Highway 2

Go through 1 roundabout

2. Take the Waihi Rd exit toward Otumoetai

3. Turn left onto Waihi Rd 600m

4. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Otumoetai Rd

5. Continue onto Bellevue Rd

6. Slight right onto Windsor Rd

Destination will be on the left

30a Windsor Rd

Bellevue, Tauranga 3110. We are up slight hill and the brick house in front.

Hey there :wave:

60L is a little small for electric yellows don't you think? I mean, you could have a few when they are really, really little but when they grow they are quite territorial and need a lot more space to swim around.

Maybe look at something smaller like either Microgeophagus ramirezi, Pelvicachromis taeniatus or Apistogramma trifasciata and a group of tetras?

Thanks for the welcomes everyone! :D

Hey there :wave:

60L is a little small for electric yellows don't you think? I mean, you could have a few when they are really, really little but when they grow they are quite territorial and need a lot more space to swim around.

Maybe look at something smaller like either Microgeophagus ramirezi, Pelvicachromis taeniatus or Apistogramma trifasciata and a group of tetras?

Thanks Joe! After reading this and numerous other posts about Africans the 60L is gonna be too small to house them. So at this stage I think it may just have to be a home for our normal kribensis who are starting to become slightly psychotic! :an!gry

Our Pelvicachromis taeniatus and Apistogramma trifasciata are going to stay in our 60L community tank.

Off to find bigger tanks on Trade Me I go..... :happy2: