has anyone seen this?

Matto

any mouth brooders can interbredd though so you could get all osrts of mutss like these :slfg:

I know that zuri08, but is quite rare to find haps/mbuna hibrids by accident I meant :dunno: , is way more common haps/aulos, haps/haps, mbunas/mbunas hybrids.

Why does everyone call them "mutts"? It sounds so stupid :facepalm: A bit like calling coral cuttings "frags".

And I hope they do die of bloat or some other nasty disease too. I think it is horrible when people go to the trouble of breeding nice fish and importing nice fish and people then go and do this. It's a disgrace to the hobby, especially in NZ where we don't have much of a variety.

Not sure what you mean Joe. A mutt is a term for a mixed breed (used to refer to dogs but now covers mixed other things) whereas frag is short for fragment - a piece.

There are all sorts of hybrid fish out there now, just as many specifically crossed as there is accidentally. :roll:

I thought that they were trying to be clever by shortening "mutation" and it sounded stupid. I didn't realise that they were using it in that context, and until today I didn't actually know the definition of the word but I have heard "mutt" in reference to dogs. Apologies for my ignorance :oops:

"Frag" has nothing to do with coral fragments so IMO it is just stupid when used in that context. This is what it actually means;

frag /frag/

Noun:

A hand grenade.

Verb:

Deliberately kill (an unpopular senior officer), typically with a hand grenade.

I can understand if hybrids are being bred specifically, but IMO accidental hybrid fry should be culled.

Have seen this auction two weeks ago. To be honest, I don't think it is a successful cross... Only time can tell.

I have two baby cichlids that are yellow lab cross with powder blue... Looking forward to see true color when adult... :digH:

as far as i was aware "frag" was short for fragment and i don't have corals.

Most hobbies & activities develop their own terms as time goes on & in the hobby of marine fish keeping that's what frag means. In golf if a right handed player hits the ball and it curves right is known as a cut or slice of the ball but that has nothing to do with taking frags from it :D

"Frag" has nothing to do with coral fragments so IMO it is just stupid when used in that context.

I thought that they were trying to be clever by shortening "mutation" and it sounded stupid. I didn't realise that they were using it in that context, and until today I didn't actually know the definition of the word but I have heard "mutt" in reference to dogs. Apologies for my ignorance :oops:

"Frag" has nothing to do with coral fragments so IMO it is just stupid when used in that context. This is what it actually means;

frag /frag/

Noun:

A hand grenade.

Verb:

Deliberately kill (an unpopular senior officer), typically with a hand grenade.

I can understand if hybrids are being bred specifically, but IMO accidental hybrid fry should be culled.

Frag grenade, which is short for fragmentation because it breaks into fragments. Frag has been used for coral fragments for far longer than noobs like you have been playing call of duty and thinking your slang is the correct and only definition of words.

I was refering to the fact that the actual meaning of the word has nothing to do with fragments ;D

there are endless examples of words that locally (within an area or group) mean nothing like there actual meaning. you ever heard any cockney rhyming slang? in that "apples and pairs" have nothing to do with fruit, "boat race" has nothing to do with yachting.... this could go on forever.

Frag grenade, which is short for fragmentation because it breaks into fragments. Frag has been used for coral fragments for far longer than noobs like you have been playing call of duty and thinking your slang is the correct and only definition of words.

I do not play "call of duty" whatever on earth that is (I assume it is a computer game). I will admit that I am a noob, but don't go round stereotyping people because of their age. I do not play any computer games at all and I think that a lot of them are a waste of time and are mindless violent rubbish. And I do not like slang. In fact I can never have a proper conversation with most of my classmates because I can't understand the crap that spews out of their mouths. I do not think that slang is the correct definition of words and I avoid using it.

I suppose your statement brings you down to my level in some ways, so shame on you.

Ira and Smidey your explainations of the word "frag" make sense. I apologise for my ignorance, stupidity and for being born :oops: I am also sorry if I have been disrespectful in any of my previous posts, and I shouldn't be such a cocky retard. I admit that I was wrong and I will learn from this mistake.

i think you just need to accept that slang or abbreviations of words in any hobby, activity or life in general are what they are and learn them so you can understand what's being discussed. My mrs would have no idea what LFS, EBJD or any other of the abbrv's we use are but there's no way she will get us to stop using them so she would have to adapt to understand.

You have the right not to use them which no one will have an issue with, just the same as everyone has the to use them but you'll never succeed in changing popular ones so just run with it and things will be a little easier. :D

Why does everyone call them "mutts"? It sounds so stupid :facepalm: A bit like calling coral cuttings "frags".

And I hope they do die of bloat or some other nasty disease too. I think it is horrible when people go to the trouble of breeding nice fish and importing nice fish and people then go and do this. It's a disgrace to the hobby, especially in NZ where we don't have much of a variety.

yes it would be a shame to waste tank space on hybrids... such as platies, swordies, guppies, parrot cichlids, flowerhorns etc.....

yes it would be a shame to waste tank space on hybrids... such as platies, swordies, guppies, parrot cichlids, flowerhorns etc.....

i think Joe is right with that statement with regard to africans specifically which the topic is about, i'm not sure he meant new world species. :)