Brackish tank eelgrass??

F15hguy

yeah, was meaning Zostera marina, so it does need a dry period??

hrmmm... might try macro algae then,

LOTS of that in Tauranga harbour =P...

got me thinking tho.... fully tidal mudflat tank... with algae filter in sump..... refugium.....

now to convince 'she who holds purse' :-? .......

lol, yeah need a lot bigger tank... My dad designs electronics for the hydroponic industry, was thinking about a modified flood and drain system, linked to a slow feed pump to simulate a 6hour incoming.

going to have to go on my wish list untill i get into a more stable house... sick of renting :(

There are only 2 places in NZ where Zostera sp. grows completely submerged, and no one knows why these 2 beds are different to any other.

Tidal tank is easy enough, did it for my Aquaculture paper.

40gal drum, pump on timer, siphon slowly drains tank to a point that can be controlled by the height of the siphon (careful here not to over-fill your drum!!) pump turns on and puts it all back into tank.

Advise an air-stone to keep the water in drum circulated.

This works, but can take some finesse to get working 100%.

what about 2 tidal tanks, where one drains into the other???

be able to see high and low tide at the same time.

Now that's a good idea. Get a relatively large tank, say a 6 foot and divide it down the middle? That way you could just have two tiny pumps on timers. Have it pump from one tank to the other for say 2 hours, let it overflow little back into the low tank at the end, that would save having the be too precise with the timing or have some kind of high level switch. Then 6 hours later or so turn on the other side and reverse the process.

hehehe,

im getting big complicated ideas now :D ..... the challenge would not be to make it tidal, it would be to recreate the tidal flow as close as I could, the problem would be delivering a very slow feed between each might have to make the flow between part of the filter system....... oh well.... still gotta wait till we move to a more stable house, our current rental is wet and cold so we planning on moving soon. If I do start studying it will be a 3 year course so stability won't be a problem (every1 hates moving tanks)