Can hair algae be used to remove nitrates effectively?

GrahamC

My neighbour gave me some plants which I have in a small tank, but all the roots were covered in hair algae. Now the bottom of the tank is covered in the stuff. I have managed to remove a lot of it, and have fed it to the gold fish with a good outcome. It gets processed into small cylindrical blocks.

I am now wondering since this stuff seems to grow so easily where I can use it as a nitrate reducer. I've seen projects where they grow algae on screens under intense lighting to do the same. But here I could take the algae and feed the fish. I already have a separate tank which is siphon fed from the HOB, and then feeds back into the main tank by siphon as well. I keep some duck and oxygen weed there so that the goldies can't eat it all in one go. Maybe I can just fill it with hair algae instead?

the problem is you can't control where the algae will grow so if its in your main tank or a sump its going to spread, personally i use floating plants like indian fern and water hyacinth to remove some of my nitrates. the indian fern doesn't seem to interest my silver dollars or giant gourami as food so thats why i chose it.

I'm not concerned if it gets into the main tank because the gold fish will just snack on it. Just wondering if it will do the job though. I can only try to see if it will but I suspect the gold fish produce too much nitrate for anything except a heavily planted tank .. which they would then proceed to demolish.

I have problems with that algae too. My main solution at this time is to use an old comb for 2 reasons

1 I only have valls in tank,with guppies

2 I dont have enough hair to need it myself :slfg:

I was told here that my tank does not get enough light to grow plants, but as the valls and algae grow I am hap :yaw2: py...