Commitment: How to do water changes on crutches

Sunbird73

I have torn my calf muscle and have been on crutches for a few days. Have two tanks downstairs in the garage that needed topping up, but am home alone with several stairs in the way, with no access to hot water downstairs (only cold). Just managed to put water in both tanks just now and am so pleased with myself I will share with you my methods.

Noting that it is not possible to carry a bucket while on crutches and only one leg, let alone down steep stairs or even think about carrying FULL bucket - and then, you say, how on earth did you do THAT?

WELL. Take note of my awesomeness.

Challenge no.1: Carrying bucket with required hot water down stairs to lower cold tap.

I got a bucket with about 1/5 full of hot water + prime. Tied a long rope to it. Carefully hobbled to the door and tied rope around railing and lowered it carefully down about 6m or so to the cold tap below. Secured the rope so bucket was suspended in place next to the tap. Hobbled downstairs.

Perched myself carefully next to the tap and filled the bucket (rope taking most of the weight). Here, slight snag, had not tied the rope so it was easily undone at the bottom end as would have had to climbed stairs again to untie rope. No mind, simply got the scissors from pocket and cut the rope. Mental note to do quick release knot next time.

Challenge no.2: Carrying FULL bucket of perfect temperature water from tap to fish tank at back of garage:

Found old storage bin on wheels. Moved to edge of garage. Swung bucket from tap to storage bin, and on crutches, kicked/ steered bin on rolling wheels to back of garage. Sat on little chair and had a rest.

Then lifted bucket and put in fish tank.

VOILA!!

I am a genius.

I have torn my calf muscle and have been on crutches for a few days. Have two tanks downstairs in the garage that needed topping up, but am home alone with several stairs in the way, with no access to hot water downstairs (only cold). Just managed to put water in both tanks just now and am so pleased with myself I will share with you my methods.

Noting that it is not possible to carry a bucket while on crutches and only one leg, let alone down steep stairs or even think about carrying FULL bucket - and then, you say, how on earth did you do THAT?

WELL. Take note of my awesomeness.

Challenge no.1: Carrying bucket with required hot water down stairs to lower cold tap.

I got a bucket with about 1/5 full of hot water + prime. Tied a long rope to it. Carefully hobbled to the door and tied rope around railing and lowered it carefully down about 6m or so to the cold tap below. Secured the rope so bucket was suspended in place next to the tap. Hobbled downstairs.

Perched myself carefully next to the tap and filled the bucket (rope taking most of the weight). Here, slight snag, had not tied the rope so it was easily undone at the bottom end as would have had to climbed stairs again to untie rope. No mind, simply got the scissors from pocket and cut the rope. Mental note to do quick release knot next time.

Challenge no.2: Carrying FULL bucket of perfect temperature water from tap to fish tank at back of garage:

Found old storage bin on wheels. Moved to edge of garage. Swung bucket from tap to storage bin, and on crutches, kicked/ steered bin on rolling wheels to back of garage. Sat on little chair and had a rest.

Then lifted bucket and put in fish tank.

VOILA!!

I am a genius.

What this really needs is a youtube video :)

I'm just going to throw out there that making your water "perfect temp" isn't neccesary... at all...

It rains in the wild, fish survive... Guarentee rain isn't "perfect temp" :wink:

In your tank, the temperature won't drop substantially enough for it to affect the fish, and even then, it quickly heats up again... Hell, couple of my fish used to swim through the cold water as I was pouring it in, slip round and up and do it again!!

Only time I ever bothered doing temp. corrections, is when I was treating fish in a hosp tank, and doing 50% changes... :thup:

Do admire the effort though! Just, maybe go with the cold water only method for a while, at least until you're healed up... :dunno:

Would hate to read a "3rd degree burns" thread...

OTT pfft.... they are my babies. The tank is a small volume of water (three quarters of a 50L tank), the temp is up around 28-29 degrees or so in the gourami fry tank. Would rather err on side of caution. The other tank houses a female that would be hard to replace so she gets special care too :)

You men can do it the cold water way, I will do it the nurturing girly way every time 8) :lol: And cold water only is just no fun at all!

OTT pfft.... they are my babies. The tank is a small volume of water (three quarters of a 50L tank), the temp is up around 28-29 degrees or so in the gourami fry tank. Would rather err on side of caution. The other tank houses a female that would be hard to replace so she gets special care too :)

You men can do it the cold water way, I will do it the nurturing girly way every time 8) :lol: And cold water only is just no fun at all!

I am on the same page as Sunbird. I too have always replaced tank water with tepid water. Been doing it for many years so it's the norm for me.

Only ever had 2 cases of white spot too.

Perhaps it is the female duty of care :P

You go girl! - Maybe you can con someone local to pop by and give you a hand?

Thanks for the thought, but have high hopes that I will be able to walk soon. I also have a husband that I could ask for help, but sometimes its just not worth the grumbling ;).