Fire or Heat pump?

Which is better?

We have both fire and heatpump and I am trying to decide which will be better.

Heres some info so you can vote fire or heatpump lol:

Our heat pump is in the lounge and heats the lounge and kitchen well, but doesnt heat the hallway and 3 bedrooms overally well, unless we turn up the degrees (using more power and more $$$$)

Fire is in the kitchen/dining room, huge box fire (biggest one you can have in a residental area) and is on wetback so heats the hot water.

We can get wood easierly as my partner works in the forest.

I was thinking the fire would be better as it heats the water as it heats the house (2 birds with 1 stone) so that we arent using power to heat the water and the powerbill will be abit smaller

The issue we are having is the age old male vs female whats better and cheaper to run.

The heat pump (not sure what it is an hour) or the fire which heats the water and uses fuel that is techincally free except for the time getting the wood and chopping it up.

Does anyone have a view on this???

Sounds like you have cheap and easy access to wood, so in that case I'd go with the fire. But since you have both I don't see why it has to be one or the other. Have the heat pump set to keep the areas it's in at a tolerable temp and the fire for the rest.

We have a clean air approved log fire which is not on wet back but can boil a jug, perc coffee and/or make soup/stew. It is hard to get a wet back log burner with a wet back because a very efficient wet back takes too much heat out of the combustion chamber and makes more polution. So called wet backs are only boosters and don't boil the hot water system like the caste iron ones in the fire place in grandads day. You can sometimes install a system of ducting and a fan to take heat from the flu and direct it towards other rooms. Most log burners have double or triple skins on the flue for fire protection and the heated air between the skins is normally wasted and exited to the outside air.

thats really interesting. so even though they call it a 'wetback' its not really a wetback!

we live about 50mins south of dunedin now and id say 9.5 out of 10 home have a fire. all the neighbours had their fires lit WAY before we did!!

im just getting the arguement from my partner that it would end up being the same amount of cost to run a heat pump as it would be to use wood. although the heat pump doesnt heat as far around the house.

trying to win the battle so that heating can go on in the house!!

A lot more work cutting and splitting wood but if you are getting it free it would be a lot cheaper than electricity even taking chainsaws into account. More heat as well I would think. We have to go and get another trailer load this afternoon for the boy to split and stack.

I say go with the fireplace.

You can't beat a good ol fireplace. Its a nicer heat too.

And cutting and splitting firewood isn't much of a chore. its cheap easy.

And if you have a heat exchange system in the ceiling space to distribute the heat throughout the house, even better. If not, Get one. keeps condensation down too.

Heat pumps are normally sized to heat the room they're installed in .. not the whole house.

I'm looking at putting in central heating now, and there's a heat pump already installed. I'm thinking water radiators powered by a gas burner might be the most effective for us. You can also get oil based heaters that use waste oil.

For more "fuel" for a wood burner argument see http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/heating-options/fuel-prices-compared

HEat pump would be more hassle free..after all we live in the modern world now..if you can afford it you got to have it!(my view)

with fire place..boy they do get hot, they will get very hot and the only place to cool down your visitor out is see them standing out side of the house in the cold weather :slfg:

Heat pumps are normally sized to heat the room they're installed in .. not the whole house.

I'm looking at putting in central heating now, and there's a heat pump already installed. I'm thinking water radiators powered by a gas burner might be the most effective for us. You can also get oil based heaters that use waste oil.

For more "fuel" for a wood burner argument see http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/heating-options/fuel-prices-compared/quote

i have a central heating set up mine's a coal/wood burner its mint keeps the house hot as. only thing i dont like is i have to go outside to put more coal or wood on it.

HEat pump would be more hassle free..after all we live in the modern world now..if you can afford it you got to have it!(my view)

Heat pumps can have difficulties in the extreme colder regions of NZ

Being a greenie at heart, I'd be very reluctant to install a coal fired burner.

We like fires but not the hassle of bringing in wood and sourcing it etc. We tried gas, but it is too expensive here, and our room does not suit a heatpump so last winter we installed a pellet fire. Really pleased with it so far but only used it for half a winter. We hooked it up to the old gas fire thermostat so it cycles on and off all by itself. Only ran it in the lowest setting as the rooms got too hot.

I think our next step, after replacing all the windows with double glazing, will be to install a ceiling thing to suck the heat up and around to the various room.

We like fires but not the hassle of bringing in wood and sourcing it etc. We tried gas, but it is too expensive here, and our room does not suit a heatpump so last winter we installed a pellet fire. Really pleased with it so far but only used it for half a winter. We hooked it up to the old gas fire thermostat so it cycles on and off all by itself. Only ran it in the lowest setting as the rooms got too hot.

I think our next step, after replacing all the windows with double glazing, will be to install a ceiling thing to suck the heat up and around to the various room.

Yeah, we were seriously considering a pellet fire when we upgraded our fireplace. But bought a regular fire because we thought we might one day have access to cheap firewood.

It would be nice to just buy a pallet of pellets every winter and just dump one into the hopper every day.

When they first came out there was a rush to install them and the next year there was a rush to remove them because the fans made a lot of noise. I understand they have now improved that but I still don't like the fact that they need power to run the fans so no power no fire. They do throw a lot of heat. I and a friend are in the process of splittng a logging truck and trailer of logs for the log fire. That warms you twice.

Also if you run out of pellets you cannot burn anything else in there.

If you run out of wood you can't burn anything else in a regular fire...Well, paper and cardboard, but you'll still need to either go chop down a tree and wait a year or two or get some delivered. Not really a difference.

I still don't like the fact that they need power to run the fans so no power no fire

I don't get why people rant about this like it's the worst thing ever. The world will end if you have to grab a blanket for a few hours. Most of the world gets by just fine with heating that stops when the power's out. And in a lot colder weather than NZ's "Gets a bit chilly inside after 12 hours" weather. If you're that worried about it you can buy an inverter and run it off a car battery.

there was a rush to remove them because the fans made a lot of noise.

The ones I've seen were quiet enough you couldn't hear them in the showroom. Barely louder than my computer.

gas heaters are cheap, easily obtainable(even 2nd hand), can be moved around and last a while when used right.Just a thought for those who are currently using electric heaters.

I don't think you really have any sort of question on your hands to be honest. Having a wetback system VS a heat pump its pretty obvious what is cheaper... The only advantage to using a heat pump in your situation is that you have the lazy and easy technology thing going. You can set it to turn on before you get up and before you get home and its the click of a button to have a somewhat instant heat source. As opposed to setting and lighting a fire and maintaining it through out the night. Another thing to consider would be having showers while the fire is running to really take advantage of the wetback...

If you run out of wood you can't burn anything else in a regular fire...Well, paper and cardboard, but you'll still need to either go chop down a tree and wait a year or two or get some delivered. Not really a difference.

I don't get why people rant about this like it's the worst thing ever. The world will end if you have to grab a blanket for a few hours. Most of the world gets by just fine with heating that stops when the power's out. And in a lot colder weather than NZ's "Gets a bit chilly inside after 12 hours" weather. If you're that worried about it you can buy an inverter and run it off a car battery.

The ones I've seen were quiet enough you couldn't hear them in the showroom. Barely louder than my computer.

Depends on if you live in Wobblyville and the supply chain is broken, you can more easily acquire wood to burn than special little pellets, and I would imagine some of them down there had no power for more than a few hours.