pond plants vs blanket weed

Sophia

In my 80 litre bugs pond there is a blanket weed that will not leave. I have tried using barley straw (real not extract) but it didn't seem to do anything, in fact after it had started to break down I found the blanket weed liked to grow through it instead :slfg:

At the moment what I do to get rid of it is put my hands in every couple of weeks and pull it out which disturbs the bottom layer of mulm and clouds the water for a couple of days and is not ideal. I don't want to put any chemical additives in as I don't want to change the water chemistry in such a way as to kill the bugs. There are lots of daphnia, snails and mosquito larvae in there. There is no pond pump or such like.

Will the addition of plants help it go away? What would be recommended? (A water lily would be too big.) There is a rather spindly oxygen weed of about 4 strands growing in a container of stones - should it be in soil?

trough001.jpg

this is when I had first started it - now the inside edges are green

trough002.jpg

You could try smothering it with duckweed and then harvest the duckweed for the fish.

I like duckweed but it's presence will make harvesting bugs a labourious process.

Here is an interesting fact sheet on how much barley straw to use, and when it is most efficacious.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/a-fact/0012.html/quote:2o0abmzw

Thanks, will check this tonight. This may have been the information I used to calculate the amount needed last time.

so will any pond plants out-compete the blanket weed do you think?

:facepalm: :spop: :gigl:

does this mean you know something about my bug pond that you aren't sharing? Other than that I have algae? Tell me or quit your snickering :an!gry

and

There is a rather spindly oxygen weed of about 4 strands growing in a container of stones - should it be in soil?

:dunno:

Blanket weed seems to come and go in my pond throughout the seasons. I don't think plants can ever out-compete it.

As to the spindly oxygen weed, a bit of soil might help. Mine are planted in big planter containers with slits on all sides and the bottom. I am probably going to have to remove some soon as it has taken over the pond!