blue dwarf rams - too hard?

mcmillanm

Hi,

Just after some advice from those that have/are keeping these lovely little fish...

I purchased 2, a male and female from my local LFS over a month ago. They didn't want to catch them in their planted tank so ordered a pair in for me. A few days after getting them the female who was the more brightly coloured of the two went quiet and a day later died. My water paramaters were fine although my nitrates were at 10. I heard they are succeptable to nitrates so bought a nitra zorb and put it in the filter, waited 2 weeks and then bought another female to go with the male. Two weeks later and the female is dead again. As you know these fish aren't cheap at $17-$20 at Hollywoods and my local and I am wondering if it is worth getting any more as I've no idea why they died... Could the male have taken a dislike to the girls although there were no marks that I could see?

I've had a couple of Bolivians in my other tank which are a delight to watch and been doing well for over a year. The tank the blue rams are in is an AR850 community tank with no bullies that I can see and has both the 850 filter + an external aquis 1000 so plenty of filtration. pH is around 6.8-7.

Just wondering if others have had any issues with these fish? :dunno:

Hi,

Just after some advice from those that have/are keeping these lovely little fish...

I purchased 2, a male and female from my local LFS over a month ago. They didn't want to catch them in their planted tank so ordered a pair in for me. A few days after getting them the female who was the more brightly coloured of the two went quiet and a day later died. My water paramaters were fine although my nitrates were at 10. I heard they are succeptable to nitrates so bought a nitra zorb and put it in the filter, waited 2 weeks and then bought another female to go with the male. Two weeks later and the female is dead again. As you know these fish aren't cheap at $17-$20 at Hollywoods and my local and I am wondering if it is worth getting any more as I've no idea why they died... Could the male have taken a dislike to the girls although there were no marks that I could see?

I've had a couple of Bolivians in my other tank which are a delight to watch and been doing well for over a year. The tank the blue rams are in is an AR850 community tank with no bullies that I can see and has both the 850 filter + an external aquis 1000 so plenty of filtration. pH is around 6.8-7.

Just wondering if others have had any issues with these fish? :dunno:

10 ppm nitrates is fine. Pretty good actually. Blue rams just seem to drop like flies, for everyone.

Hmm, I wondered if that may be the case.

As pretty as they are, they are too costly if they keep dropping like flies.

I think I'll wait and see how this guy goes and maybe replace him with the more hardy bolivians or some other dwarf something that catches my interest.

Thanks for your replies :wave:

So, my next step would be, go back to the LFS, and ask them to ask their importer "If your fish only last for such a short time, why are you charging so much for them?"

:dunno: Seems odd that weak fish can sell for so much.

I guess the price is related to supply and demand and the fact that they last for a couple of weeks makes it hard to prove that it isn't the buyer's fault unfortunately.

I WILL however tell them that I lost another & won't be buying any more. :roey:

A pity as they are pretty although a bit more timid than my Bolivians who are little characters!

So, my next step would be, go back to the LFS, and ask them to ask their importer "If your fish only last for such a short time, why are you charging so much for them?"

:dunno: Seems odd that weak fish can sell for so much.

Guess its one of those things that is hard to deal with.. I think that blue rams are classified as high risk now so they will need a 6 week quarantine, so they lasted at least 6 weeks in quarantine (with minimal losses across the batch) and then made it to a LFS and then to be sold to you. So it is hard to say they were sick or in unwell in anyway? I am not sure how the shops and quarantine facilities keep these guys alive but I certainly didn't have the knack for it.

I had a pair back in '06 and they seemed quite hardy, spawned and raised their fry. I have just bought another pair yesterday so it will be interesting to see if they last. Hopefully they do cos they're $30ea down here.

GL with your pair, hopefully they are strong, healthy, successfully spawn for you & you can sell some babies back to people like me! :happy2:

I too bought a pair 2 weeks ago. We're ok at first but did notice that they breathe a lot faster than all the other fish. Anyone else seen this?

Anyway on monday I couldn't find the male and last I'd seen him he was slightly bloated I thought. Still no sign of him till about an hour ago when I went to clean the tank glass and got that dead fish smell - then I found him. I think he only died today.

I too paid more for mine - $31.40 each

Question is do I get another male for her? :-?

I too bought a pair 2 weeks ago. We're ok at first but did notice that they breathe a lot faster than all the other fish. Anyone else seen this?

Anyway on monday I couldn't find the male and last I'd seen him he was slightly bloated I thought. Still no sign of him till about an hour ago when I went to clean the tank glass and got that dead fish smell - then I found him. I think he only died today.

I too paid more for mine - $31.40 each

Question is do I get another male for her? :-?

I didn't notice my latest female looking sick at all but the original female that I got was breathing rapidly before she died...

Well my girl is now not looking so hot.

Have taken her out and giving a bath in salt and Malkon (an old treatment that I have some of - old schoolers on here would know what it was).

See if it makes a difference if not I guess I will have to euthanise her :tears:

Hey Danval

I have been going to Rotorua to buy my fish lately.

The two blues I got were very colourful. I think good stock was imported this time round.

Was there again yesterday and bought a pair of blue veiltale rams (very beautiful) and a pair of blue acara's.

Were they blue rams at World of Water? and how much?

Ugh, I kept a pair for awhile. They are such beautiful fish. They laid eggs three times and hatched them once, lost them all after a powercut. :facepalm:

The female died a few months later, and the male a few months after that. I loved them dearly but was so gutted i've only admired them in fish shops since. There seems to be a lot of threads about them dying so easily.

I actually didn't see a price as I was only in there briefly. But they were the most colourful ones I have seen for some time. Would love to see some pics of your veil rams once they have settled in :D

Might be the wrong place to post a photo... but never mind!

Blue veil tail girl:

Blueveiltalegirl.jpg

Boy is pretty but she unleased her mouth on his tale in the bag while they travelled....naughty girl!! :facepalm: