fresh water planted tank advice

jn87

Hi everyone.

Quick question, we want to set up a planted tropical tank and was wondering if we need a UV light in there?

Also we are going to start small and do a small tank before we put money into something bigger, we cannot get a proper light hood as the tank is only 30cm wide but is a tallish tank. What will be the best lighting for it?

We have Doltons aquatic mix and are planning on putting Java fern and needle leaf java in it for now.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

A UV light is useless unless you want to sterilize the water to help get rid of a disease.

Dalton's Aquatic Mix is useless for growing Java Ferns as they grow on wood. Burying the roots in the substrate causes them to rot and kills the plant. Dalton's is only useful for stems, crypts, echinodorus, lotus, aponogeton etc. Also if you are using it remember to put a good layer of sand or gravel over the top (at least 5cm) because Dalton's is clay and it will cloud the water if it isn't covered. IMO fine gravel is best as I have found sand very hard to remove if you are dismantling a tank as it packs together.

I have some wood for the fern. And will be adding some other stems and hopefully crypts as well, just really like those 2 types of java.

The Daltons I have for a bigger tank I will be setting up, But figured there wouldnt be any harm in putting it under the gravel of the small tank too.

So as for lighting I read of people just using a desk lamp with one of the energy saver bulbs would this work or would the small jebo clamp on lights work for planted tanks? Or do I need to find something else that will fit on the narrow but deep tank?

Thanks for the help.

The Aqua One 620T tanks use PL tubes in their lights. These I found in the 620T I owned did penetrate to the bottom ok and will continue to if replaced every year. I have seen light fittings sold individually with these bulbs.

All the best.

What about fine pumice instead of fine gravel?

Haven't tried it but sounds like a good idea :)

So as for lighting I read of people just using a desk lamp with one of the energy saver bulbs would this work or would the small jebo clamp on lights work for planted tanks? Or do I need to find something else that will fit on the narrow but deep tank?

T8 or T5 tubes will be best for your tank. The plant (pink) ones work great, coupled with a cool white to make everything nice and bright. Stay away from Aqua One tubes. I have found them to be overpriced for what they are and they don't work that well from my experience.

I have found the Hagen AquaGlo T8 to be great for plant growth. If you want to go T5's you could try the Sylvania GloLux (I'm not sure though if they are available in T5 in NZ but I have seen them offered in T5 online in other parts of the world).

How big is your tank actually? Length, Width & Height?

JBL Flora Pro Is another cheap option @ $27.00 it lasts for about 3 years and becomes solid ish like clay and is easy to remove. It will also need to be capped.

These sort of things will fit over the top of a 30cm tank without too much over hang.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/fish/lights-lamps/auction-456996165.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/fish/lights-lamps/auction-457368032.htm

After having had a clip on light for a year (?) on my small tank and then getting this sort of thing, I can say that I wouldn't go back to clip ons unless you are electrically/DIY minded enough to rig up something that runs the length of the tank with a decent wattage. With a clip on you don't get the light penetration to the bottom and to the corners so the only stuff that grows OK is very low light or stuff directly under the light. Clip on LED may work better than clip on fluoro type tubes but I found a solution in the above type of light instead.

What about fine pumice instead of fine gravel?

You will find that some of it will float so would check before you buy.

Daltons propagating sand no.2 is what I use in my planted tank. Very very cheap and looks good in my opinion :thup:

18032012%28004%29.jpg

Doesn't seem to be too bad from this afternoon's trial. This is using Pam's potting mix ( the only potting mix I could find that didn't say it had added fertilizers ), and some fine pumice from Bunnings. There's a little bit of floating material and some pumice dust as I didn't bother to rinse it. Didn't have any plants so will just let it sit for a couple of weeks. I put it against the window to get maximum sunlight, but wife objected to my using absent child's dresser like this .. so it's back to the living room!

18032012%28004%29.jpg

Doesn't seem to be too bad from this afternoon's trial. This is using Pam's potting mix ( the only potting mix I could find that didn't say it had added fertilizers ), and some fine pumice from Bunnings. There's a little bit of floating material and some pumice dust as I didn't bother to rinse it. Didn't have any plants so will just let it sit for a couple of weeks. I put it against the window to get maximum sunlight, but wife objected to my using absent child's dresser like this .. so it's back to the living room!

nice tank