What to do with a 5 foot tank??

Ok, so getting this 5 footer (and 4 footer) and wondering what to fill it with....any ideas and suggestions. Have thought about Blue Dolphins, which will accompany my current Electric yellow pair. Any ideas/thoughts?

Anything but africans.

5 footer a bit small for an aro isn't it?

Depending on the breed, but most agree that a 4x2x2 is the barest minimum for anything but silver arowanas. I reckon a 5 foot tank would be fine for a single jardini or a green - but of course bigger is always better.

That male is only 2-3yrs old.. I bred him and sold him to a lady who had an 8x3x2ft tank(i showed her the light and converted her from big south American cichlids to Africans) I was lucky to get 2 big males back off her after I lost mine and start breeding them again.

That blue thing looks like it should have been culled as a fry, is it meant to look like that? :-?

Why anyone would want that over this is beyond me...

IMG_9396_xlarge.jpg

:P:P:P

but most agree that a 4x2x2 is the barest minimum for anything but silver arowanas.

That might be acceptable in some asian countries, but in reality they all still have the potential to get to over 2' long even in captivity and an anythingX2X2' tank isn't going to be big enough...

hmmm Texas Cichlid?

Is that right?

have just got myself a very nice juvi pair.

waiting waiting waiting till they start to get some size...lol

and I agree...I would own an arro...but it would have to be a nice one...so untill I can afford the 100k I will stick to my tanks of colour and personality ....and well you know...fish :wink:

So Fish Fingers....while this has been going on I hope you have been cycling that 5Ftr

I would suggest a colony style tank

Nice dark sand some rocks...plants or not depending on what you want to keep?

There have ...between the pointed stick bits some good suggestions...mostly mine of course but others have contributed... :wink:

Maybe you could go to an arro :o but you might be better looking at some nice Africans...tangs...Tropheus and Calvus about 20 and 10 would be a nice mix or Fronts?

Then there is a mix of Haps...big colony of Proto's with some cats..or a single speices aulanocara tank with dolphins and cats and the like. Or you could use Mumbuna like yellows and zebras and Labeotrophus.

Crikey a tank that size...salvani, Festivums or some nice severums or GT or Texas...My favs Chocolates...or Firemouths with Geophagus and fire eels and cats .................The Choice is endless

If you were really keen ( fanatically stupid read that as, cause I NEVER have luck with these blardy fish) you could plant up and have a big school of discus or angels with some rams or the like...very nice display that way.

Will these tanks be display ...or procreation tanks?

HTH :wink: