Charged to go for a walk in the bush?

Got rid of the kids to their Grandmas' place today and we thought 'why don't we go for a wee toddle in the Puketi forest" looked on the web site to find a nice medium track and discovered that all Puketi tracks have a charge, some upwards of $55 per adult per hour.

This is outrageous, the bush is like the beach, it belongs to all NZers and should be free, even a $10 fee to help maintain the tracks would be understandable but 55 bucks?

Apart from the main tracks like MT Hutt and the like, does your local walking track charge a fee and how much?

We have Maungatautari Ecological Island local - free, and that cost millions to setup

This Puketi forest?

http://www.puketi.org.nz/hike.html

The forest is now protected as part of Northland Forest Park and is administered by the New Zealand government Department of Conservation (DOC).

DOC should be free apart form huts

there are a few walks that do have charges just for using the track. this is because parts of the track go across privately owned land. the charge is to compensate the owners for maintanance that they have to perform on the sections of the track that are on their land. It may seem a bit of a rip-off to have to pay to go for a walk, but at the same time why should private land owners have to pay to let the public walk over their land.

Of course. Private land owners dont have to allow public on their land. There are alot of walks around the area but i thought Puketi Forest tracks were all on Public conservation land? Havnt been there for years but i know we didnt pay when we were there last.

http://bankstrack.co.nz/

i read about this track in a magazine its privately owned and costs a bit but has hot showers and the likes at the huts

at $195 per person for 4 days it is about the same price as some of the Great Walks (DOC), so not too bad for a private setup. I would Love to see the "Right To Roam" like in Scotland over here, or the extensive public footpaths like in the rest of the UK