Feeding Nori to freshwater fish ..

snookie

Anyway, the question is, is it safe in the long term to feed a food which is suitable for marine fish being very high in sodium to freshwater fishes. Or, whether you will overwhelm the fish's homeostatic mechanisms to maintain cellular osmotic pressures. You can take the chance and see if their lives are shortened or not, or, you could just eat the stuff yourself. I do .. wife makes sushi at least once a week, and I have to swallow blood pressure tablets most days when i remember!

In comparison, the Cadbury dairy milk coconut rough that was sitting infront of me ... of which only the packet now remains, has 100 mg of sodium per 100 g i.e. about 1/20th of the nori.

Oh yeah, hypertension is a common problem in Japan.

Well, I'm the newbie here so all my answers can be taken with various amounts of salt. Ira, Livingart, Sophia et al are the experts.

It doesn't matter someone can learn from another's knowledge, you seem to know a lot about fish and diseases and a lot more to be honest :thup: Can I ask what you are qualified in?

It doesn't matter someone can learn from another's knowledge, you seem to know a lot about fish and diseases and a lot more to be honest :thup: Can I ask what you are qualified in?

Sure. I have two medical degrees, and several postgraduate medical qualifications, and an undergraduate degree in human biology. I also managed a pass in school certificate biology. But that was long long ago.

@David. Yes, interesting in that it shows that biological principles are maintained across the kingdoms. Like freshwater fish, mammals like us also live in a salt scarce environment, and so we have mechanisms designed to conserve salt as much as we can, and we handle salt excess poorly with homeostatic consequences. I like a Kiwi burger now and then, but no way would I have one once a week.

I think that it all comes down to Moderation. (yes, with chocolate too GrahamC... :slfg: )

As long as your not pumping your tank full of it, I have not found anything to show measurable and direct damage internally to your fish from consuming Nori.

horses....courses.... :thup: