New In Ashburton

KaZ38

Hi Everyone

I have just purchased a 60L tank and placed 3 Red Serpea in it. :happy2: They have been in for 2 days and they are swimming on the bottom not feeding. :( They are also not very red, do they become red as they grow bigger. I am very new to this, I have waited a week to place the fish in. They have some plants but I will need to build up more, limited in Ashburton though. These fish are a birthday present for my three children, and we do plan on getting more fish but I read it is best to wait and see what happens with these.

Any help for a newbie would be great.

Tank is cycled and was tested for everything before fish placed in, they have actually started eating but not from the top, I have to keep swirling the flakes to make them fall, so that they will eat. I have a feeling it is too bright and I need more plants.

Is the tank cycled? did you test for ammonia and nitrates?

Do a 10-20% water change now.

have a look here http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6979/quote:sowmtc4w

Tank is cycled and tested, was all good when I placed fish in. Will do a water change tomorrow. They seem a bit more relaxed now, swimming as I would call it 'freely'. Eating now but only the flakes that fall down.

Tank is cycled and was tested for everything before fish placed in, they have actually started eating but not from the top, I have to keep swirling the flakes to make them fall, so that they will eat. I have a feeling it is too bright and I need more plants.

How did you cycle the tank in a week? It usually takes 4-6 weeks unless you used filter material from another cycled tank. If you just used that bacteria in a bottle they sell at pet shops, without an ammonia load, your parameters will all read 0 but your tank won't be cycled. You need to regularly check water parameters and do small daily water changes with dechlorinated tap water.

I get a cup of tank water, put the flakes into it, leave it a few minutes, and then tip it into the tank. That way the flake drops below the water line.

Hello KaZ38 :wave:

If they are only eating the flakes that fall down it probably means they are a bit scared to come to the top for a couple of reasons. Little fish are usually more willing to come to the top when there are plants that go all the way to the top too. You could put some twisted val in the background that will eventually twist over the top surface, or some ambulia, cabomba, stargrass - any stem plant really.

Many little fish also only feel safe in a larger group so it might improve straight away if you double them.

The other thing you can do is go to the chemist and get a dropper (I use the one with the pink rubber squeezy bit), put some flake in some water from the fishtank, then suck them up and fire them into the water towards them (similar to GrahamC's suggestion). Some fish like to think their food is alive and it helps when it's in the water rather than floating.

Hello KaZ38 :wave:

If they are only eating the flakes that fall down it probably means they are a bit scared to come to the top for a couple of reasons. Little fish are usually more willing to come to the top when there are plants that go all the way to the top too. You could put some twisted val in the background that will eventually twist over the top surface, or some ambulia, cabomba, stargrass - any stem plant really.

Many little fish also only feel safe in a larger group so it might improve straight away if you double them.

The other thing you can do is go to the chemist and get a dropper (I use the one with the pink rubber squeezy bit), put some flake in some water from the fishtank, then suck them up and fire them into the water towards them (similar to GrahamC's suggestion). Some fish like to think their food is alive and it helps when it's in the water rather than floating.

Thank you, I am going to get three more today as they are fighting quite badly between themselves anyway. I have some plants, no idea of name, that do make it to the top but I still think I need more. I will look up the names of the plants you mentioned. I have seen the fish only about 4 times sprint to the top and back down again, might take time.

is their any fish shops in ashburton? or is their any in chch i dont know about?

after a decent size fish cichlid or something..anyone in chch selling one?

Im pretty new to this and the only stores I know of are Pet Zone in Ashburton and Redwood Aquatics in Christchurch.