Easy Life Liquid Filter Medium

zeebee

Why was it recommended? In my opinion, if you are doing everything correctly you should not need to add products to your system. I had to look this stuff up as I had never heard of it. It seems to be considered the best thing since sliced bread (but it was their own website so that is understandable) and I don't think I have ever seen 1 product claimed to cure, or correct, so many different problems and for both freshwater and marine!

Nowhere could I find what was actually in it though :dunno:

Their site says...

Easy-Life fluid filter medium represents a completely new product generation in aquatics. Its application range is so wide, that a certain name never fully covers all the workings of this product.

Easy-Life vfm :

is 100% natural & safe

does not contain any chemicals, bacteria or other organic additives

is very active in freshwater and marine aquariums, ponds and paludariums

solves many problems : often occurring ones and also rare problems

is a very versatile preventive product

brings about dozens of powerful effects

Examples of Easy-Life ffm activities in freshwater and marine systems : improves and stabilizes the water quality, accelerates the maturing of tanks, removes chemicals, medicine residue, chlorine, heavy metals, ammonium and many other contaminants, improves plant growth, young fry grow better, promotes coral growth, algae removal and prevention, destresses fish and lower animals, neutralizes harmful bacteria, promotes breeding and much more.

Easy-Life ffm prevents unnecessary suffering and dying of freshwater and marine animals during transport and quarantine, after a medical treatment, in case of injuries and bacterial infections, calamities like power failure and so on. The mortality rate of the water creatures has decreased tremendously by Easy-Life ffm.

All this with a completely natural product with which no chemicals, bacteria or other organic additives are brought into the water. Easy-Life fluid filter medium produces over 30 different effects, without showing any detrimental side-effects. Use the navigation on the right for all the information about this unique product.

Surprisingly, it claims that doubling the does doubles the effectiveness, unlike most which say you must dose as per instructions.

It was product of the year in Germany in 2004.

The site also claims all the following...

OVERVIEW ACTIVITIES

Effrects on aquarium plants

adds a wide range of essential minerals and trace elements

enhances the growth of plants

Water quality / biofilters / useful bacteria

makes the water crystal clear

removes heavy metals (e.g. Copper, Zinc, Cadmium)

removes ammonium, chlorine, chloramine and other harmful compounds (chlorine compounds only in fresh water)

removes harmful bacteria

absorbs residue of medication and chemicals

eliminates bad odours

prevents algae problems

continually adds oxygen to the water

improves the water quality and keeps it stable

protects against sudden alterations in the water quality

improves the overall water condition spectacularly

useful bacteria multiply much faster

biofilters become more efficient and longer lasting

accelerates the bio-activity: ideal for starting up new filter systems

Effects on corals / lower animals / live rock

Live rock / corals open much quicker and easier

all water inhabitants will grow better

the lower animals become more active

the animals are less prone to disease

adds a wide range of essential minerals and trace elements

Water quality / biofilters / useful bacteria

makes the water crystal clear

removes heavy metals (e.g. Copper, Zinc, Cadmium)

removes ammonium, chlorine, chloramine and other harmful compounds (chlorine compounds only in fresh water)

removes harmful bacteria

absorbs residue of medication and chemicals

eliminates bad odours

prevents algae problems

continually adds oxygen to the water

improves the water quality and keeps it stable

protects against sudden alterations in the water quality

improves the overall water condition spectacularly

useful bacteria multiply much faster

biofilters become more efficient and longer lasting

accelerates the bio-activity: ideal for starting up new filter systems

It seems to me that it is not removing anything from the water, just binding it so it is still there. I do not think such products should replace good, regular maintenance and, if you are doing this, then the product is superfluous (and expensive).

It slices, it dices, yet it contains no chemicals? I mean, come on, water is a chemical. What's in it, rainbows and unicorn farts?

Sounds like snake oil to me :roll:

Edit: According to the foster and Smith site, "Easy-Life Fluid Filter Medium is a special blend of natural inorganic mineral compounds and contains no organic chemicals, enzymes or bacteria."

recommended as a dechlorinator and to make the water crystal clear.

Decided to give it a go.. Made the water crystal clear, don't know if its effective against chlorine.

After cloudiness disappears it leaves a white dust/film over aquarium surfaces which is a pain.

But yes sounds like snake oil as I have no idea how it can claim to do all those things...

Examples of Easy-Life ffm activities in freshwater and marine systems : improves and stabilizes the water quality, accelerates the maturing of tanks, removes chemicals, medicine residue, chlorine, heavy metals, ammonium and many other contaminants, improves plant growth, young fry grow better, promotes coral growth, algae removal and prevention, destresses fish and lower animals, neutralizes harmful bacteria, promotes breeding and much more.

1. How can it accelerate the maturing of tanks if it has no bacteria??

2. Ammonium (ammonia at pH <7) has been proven to be harmless to fish, even at high levels; while ammonia is the one to watch out for - but Easy-Life evidently hasn't received the memo.

3. I wonder how it can promote breeding of both freshwater and marine fish simultaneously! :love: (Must be something in the water..)

Sounds like the old Chinese folktale of the merchant who sold both the unstoppable spear and the shield which couldn't be pierced!