Where does one buy plastic floating bio media

henward

I asked the same question recently http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=56934

The essentials of what you need is some type of robust material that is buoyant, and has cavities that allow bacteria and other organisms to grow in a protected environment. These small aquatic organisms are able to do consume tiny material that other filters miss. And there's the outside of the media where bacteria also reside, and these are being constantly renewed by the collisions that occur in the fluidising process.

The Kaldnes media can be purchased in Singapore in 50L quantities, and I think on ebay they sell clones made in China.

Now Lego floats .. so anyone game to try a Lego fluidized filter? Lego pieces might be too big though, and too expensive.

Aqua One sells packets of black star-shaped bio-media which float and are porous. I used them for my moving media compartment when I used to have it in my sump. They float and spin really quickly when propelled by the pump, so there's a lot of movement and collision. Downside is that they are really, really expensive if you want to get a good amount of media in the compartment.

I'm sure that the blue bio-balls will work just as well. I used to have them as moving media as well, they float and spin really well. Much cheaper to buy in bulk too.

I have seen polystyrene bean bag filler used as floating filter media in a commercial aquaponics set up.

Personally I wouldn't use those because they are so smooth, so they don't have as much surface area as a porous material. Also, due to their size, I think that complications will arise with the pump.

from whit i can tell they work just fine, use an air stone and bottle, they seem to have a large surface area

Yeah, air stone and a bottle will be better for polystyrene balls. Wouldn't work for Henward because he's using a compartment in his sump tank.

yes i have a mix of that an the black ones you get on TM and HFF.

they all float, funny some of them dont float though wonder why, 1 out of ten sink haha, but with a jet moving it around, it constsnatly moves and bounces anyhow, so same effect.

just trialling a chamber on my sump, eventually when my monster tank is up, im gonna use all my ceramic media into a wet/dry trickle system, and the entire sump will be turned into a high flow mechanical and moving media filter.

THen a separate second stage sump will be for the rest of the bio filtration.

Friend came back from Singapore last week and brought back a small bag of K1 for me to experiment with. It's about the volume of 1.5 cereal boxes.

kaldnesk1.JPG

The $1 is there so that you can see the comparative size of the media. Didn't realise it was so small. Price sticker on the bag says S$19. I'm surprised he found it as I read you had to buy it in 50L quantities, but he knew of a few LFSs and rang around.

Friend came back from Singapore last week and brought back a small bag of K1 for me to experiment with. It's about the volume of 1.5 cereal boxes.

kaldnesk1.JPG

The $1 is there so that you can see the comparative size of the media. Didn't realise it was so small. Price sticker on the bag says S$19. I'm surprised he found it as I read you had to buy it in 50L quantities, but he knew of a few LFSs and rang around.

that is exactly what i want!!

where do you get that???

that is perfe;ct for moving bio filter, light and easy to move

:sage: I'm here now, I can't quite see the shop name... If you could give me some details on where it is I could check it out for you depending on location, what were doing ect. Keeping in mind that one nzd is one sgd so that Packet cost $19 unsure on how much you are needing ect.

I assume this is for a sump of some sort ? Why not just get some egg crate and some normally media so the egg crate holds it up making it float?

Is it called terima kasih? I googled it and couldn't find much

The idea is to fluidize the media, just not keep it floating :) As the bacteria colonize the media turning it brown it then starts to sink.

I googled the words on the label .. it says Terima Kasih which means "Thank you" :slfg:

Ok, I'll find out from my mate where he bought the stuff from.

Cheers, so it's $20 for 50L? I might be Pushing the bag limits with three shoes boxes and clothes! But I'll see what I can do. :thup:

Come to think of it he may have got it from Malaysia, because it was thank you in Malay. I'm not going back there anytime soon. Cost $2 for a bus there, we changed some money had a snack and changed our money back... Wasn't much to see