Naked DSL

blueether

I use Telecom - it works out about the same price as any of the naked DSL providers and you get a home phone and a service company that responds when you have problems. I've been with orcon, ihug and telstraclear in the past but I'll never go back.

I thought the point of Naked DSL was that you don't have to have a landline.

I use Slingshot.

Works well. However, you have to keep in mind that slingshot is a value for money ISP. You get great data allowances for low prices compared to the competition. It does mean though that at peak times, you won't get your full line rate available to you. For browsing etc, there is plenty of speed. If you're a serial downloader, you might think it crawls :P

No IPv6 .. you'd be lucky for any residential ISP to be pushing this out this early surely?

Static IP $10 more, although I get one free *cough*

Naked DSL is available, unlimited naked plan if you wanted that. I've used their iTalk VoIP service since 2005 as my primary phone line. Never once had a problem with it, great service. Haven't used a landline since.

Forum / IRC is good .. but I'm biased as I'm an administrator on the slingshot forums :P .. IRC support is there, but the chan is used for other stuff most of the time. A few of us are there all the time though and will try to help if needed. Personally I'm just a customer, so I can't do anything that requires access to slingshot's databases.

Hardware is all the same these days, they provide NetComm gear which is actually pretty decent provided you don't let it get too hot. I personally buy the same stuff for anyone I assist with issues.

I'm with snap atm but am looking for something else, been looking at worldnet and orcon and maybe xnet or maxnet.

I used to be a forum/irc mod for my ISP in the UK* and am finding the lack of choice in ISPs depressing

*we had limited DB access but did have direct access to the ISPs admin and network teams so could get issues fixed asap

and you get a home phone

That's the thing with Naked DSL you don't, but you can use a VoIP line. My VoIP line is $11 / month for a phone number, 20 or so features like call waiting, call minder, caller ID as well as 500 calling minutes to something like 40 different countries.

The traditional landline is $41 - $49 depending on where you live, and you get no features and no minutes.

Yes it is down when the network is down, so if that happens to you then you need an alternative. If you have a smartphone, you can use your voip line on that. The only time mine has been down in 7 years is from the earthquakes, but landlines were down too.

I've never had quality issues, in fact I think the quality of the call is better. I now also run all of our work phone lines on VoIP. Took our phone bill from $2k ish per month down to $250 per month.

Our phone always rings.

If you are a heavy user who is maxing out their line downloading things or running p2p, then you may have some issues. There are ways around that if you have a router that supports prioritisation or reserving bandwidth.

I used to think I could do away with landlines until the earthquakes... If you are without power due to a natural disaster, imagine how crap it would be if you couldn't contact family to check they were ok. (the mobile networks were very flakey and not reliable enough.. some txts took hours to go through and calling was impossible)

the landlines arent immune to quakes i spent time after feb working for downer digging up telephone cables they are still finding quake faults. on the voip topic my partners work spent thousands changing to a voip sytem for quite a big business the plan was they'd save money in the long run but it proved so unreliable and people ringing up couldnt hear them huge delays it was just impossible to use so they got rid of it

Yeah, I'm the IT manager where I work and I've switched to 100% VoIP. However, we have a fibre connection coming in for our internet access and they also provide a completely separate 5mbit link direct to our VoIP provider. Works great. We pay about $250 / month for 10 "lines", 30 DDI's and we use about 10,000 minutes of calling a month.

I'm on Orcon at home, using their Genius plan, which is a naked DSL with VOIP calls. 30GB of data, and free local calls, $70/month.

We HAD been using Telecom but they were dicking us around :an!gry with line static not being fixed and all sorts of dramas, so we swapped to Orcon. We were with Orcon even before Genius. They were great then too.

It was a real pain trying to get Genius set up, but now that's it's up and running, I wouldn't switch back. With Orcon, we have NEVER had speed issues. Always running the max that our line can support, and not a byte less. :thup:

VOIP requires power. If you are worried about losing power, get a UPS. In a natural disaster, phone lines go dead just as fast as power lines.

At home I use slingshot / slingshot iTalk. But I don't think that's what you're asking.

At work we use a plan from a local company called The Total Team, who basically re-sell FX Networks. They have a plan for Chch users that gives us unlimited data, 0.75Mbps CIR, 30Mbps PIR (but it actually gets up to 80Mbps PIR for us, which is the throughput limit of our router). It's $795 + GST per month. We also pay $100 + GST for our direct link to 2talk who provide our VoIP trunks. We're on the middle business plan for that. 10 lines, lots of minutes, heaps of DDI's. We also add in the 1000 minutes to mobiles addon. The 2talk bill is about $250 + GST per month.

We were paying about $150 for ADSL from Telecom, 40GB of data or so. We also had a Telecom bill for our 6 lines and calling in the region of $1500 - $2500 per month.

The call quality is far superior using 2talk than it was from Telecom and we have a much faster and unlimited fibre connection, costing us less overall. Win all around.

P.S. I know 0.75Mbps CIR sounds low, but it's way higher than ADSL CIR's. I've also never found it to run at anything less than PIR anyway.