Substrate colour help

CodKing

This is really one of the nicest predicaments I have ever found myself in!

These are the rocks... (placement is indicative only)

img2081crop.jpg

The left side...

img2081cropleft.jpg

The right side...

img2081cropright.jpg

More accurate representation of colour...

img2080colour.jpg

Basic layout would be these rocks around where they are with dense bushes of star grass forming a sort of green belt directy behind both groups. Maybe in front tuck some small swords or grass right up against the rocks. Initial thoughts were something like Midnight gavel around the 1mm size. Getting these rocks and seeing the green light the reflect I'm not so sure any more. What are your thoughts/ideas?

Inhabitants are to be as many Bolivian Ram as space or behaviour will allow and maybe a number of Tetra and/or Corys

Good idea. I'm not so keen on white but if I can find an off-white.

Also thinking I will need to create patches of small rubble around the base of the big rocks to make it feel a bit more natural.

No one else got any ideas? What about a grey, any one used a light grey substrate?

Those rocks are wet my friend :)

You wouldn't have a snap of what Dalton's looks like would you?

I've gone all out with the first layer getting a couple of bags of Aquabasis Plus. Originally I was going to make it a dirt tank but decided to up the budget just because I could (for a change :happy2: )

Those rocks are wet my friend :)

My apologies, light coloured aren't they! hence why I thought that they were dry. :hail:

You wouldn't have a snap of what Dalton's looks like would you?

I've gone all out with the first layer getting a couple of bags of Aquabasis Plus. Originally I was going to make it a dirt tank but decided to up the budget just because I could (for a change :happy2: )

Nope, sorry, but....

http://www.daltons.co.nz/home-gardening/retail-products/sand-and-pumice/propagating-sand-no2

Actually it says there that it is "sharp" but to be honest, I wouldn't of classed it so, it hasn't seemed overly "sharp" to me... :dunno:

Edit

354738488.jpg

Stolen from Supasi's blog :thup:

any colour substrate willb e fine.

just keep in mind of the theme you want and the type of fish in it,

fish will change colour according to substrate.

when i had discus of all strains - i had silica sand, and man, the colour was light, pigeon blood showed little to no peppering....

I'm looking for a pretty tight setup here so I want to have good continuity throughout the aquascape. Cricketman sparked an idea this avo, hopefully I can get some example photos up by the end of the week.

My apologies, light coloured aren't they! hence why I thought that they were dry

Btw Cricketman, those rocks aren't light coloured but are covered in lichen. They are basalt and are a nice dark brown with a rusty brown in places. I will get some detailed shots when I get them out next.

Btw Cricketman, those rocks aren't light coloured but are covered in lichen. They are basalt and are a nice dark brown with a rusty brown in places. I will get some detailed shots when I get them out next.

the rocks or your rocks... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :digH:

yea, a closer look reveals a lot... but I'm far too impatient for that... :slfg:

Rocks seem to look stark and larger when they are in the tank by themselves.

But once you plant the grasses and other plants they will not seem as dramatic and they'll look great by themselves without any smaller rocks/rubble.

Nice layout.

I would have a dark substrate such as the midnight balck stuff on TM or a grey gravel.

This was my initial idea but the green glow these things give off has made me a bit doubtful. I think I'll pickup a bag of it to experiment. Maybe even a black grey mix. I can see this getting expensive! :facepalm:

Something else that may be an issue is I would imagine the tubes in the hood are either original or old. Might be an idea to get these replaced before I go looking at the finer details.

This was my initial idea but the green glow these things give off has made me a bit doubtful. I think I'll pickup a bag of it to experiment. Maybe even a black grey mix. I can see this getting expensive! :facepalm:

Something else that may be an issue is I would imagine the tubes in the hood are either original or old. Might be an idea to get these replaced before I go looking at the finer details.

Mate your in CHCH, travel 30mins out of the city to one of the braided rivers and get some free Grey Gravel! :wink: