NCEA Results out online!

emaytiti

How many points do you get for spelling your name correctly? I have a mate who got 6% for chemistry in School Cert. Put his name at the top and spent 3 hours doing a pen and ink drawing of the exam supervisor. Got annoyed when they made him hand it in as he wanted to put it with his C.V. Marks must have been scaled up.

I was the first year of ncea... crap system.

Also I don't think you young people understand that school cert you had 5 or 6 subjects and there was only a single exam at the end of the year for each class. No achievement standards and not splitting into multiple papers.

This...

Plus, I found that having a % score highly motivating between myself and my friends (yes, we were nerds...) but now every-one is so fluffy bunny and PC and "every child is special" that your thrown in a category, killing all competitiveness and meaning that even if you excel beyond many others, you're still bunched together, making it pointless to try do better than necessary to get the "M" or "E"... [/rant]

I had a friend in 7th Form Calculus who technically failed her midterm, despite getting every merit and excellence question correct.

Our Teacher was a legend, so he showed this to us and explained:

Under the marking schedule, you had to get 2 specific Achievement questions correct, in order to get Achieved. To get Merit, you had to get the Merit questions AND Achievement. To get Excellence, you had to get the Excellence questions, Merit, AND Achieved.

She missed ONE of the two specific questions, (she miss-read a x for a + ("Hey Laura, what's 2 x 3?" "6" "Then why did you write 5?" " :facepalm: ").

He managed to talk to the other markers, and her merit questions were "counted down" to achievement, but it took a lot of doing.