My fishless cycle..

zeebee

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Water changes are going to be important once you get Nitrate forming, as this is the part of the Nitrogen cycle that is accessible to Algae.

Since your lacking in plants (macro-algae) the slack shall be taken up by micro-algae, leaving you with an algal bloom if you do not remove the nitrate by way of water change.

:thup:

Yes, day 15 went to 0.5.

Today as nitrites were still of the chart I did a large 80-90% water change. Tested again for nitrites after water change and nitrites are still off the chart.....(test tube is bright pinky purple). Have tested the same water which i have filled it up with and that is at 0ppm. Is there something wrong here??? very strange and don't know what to do.

Te Awamutu bin inn have it out the back! only place in the Waikato
sure does. Just be aware that that stuff is 25% ammonia as apposed to 10% supermarket stuff. So you need to cut down how much you put in. Only dose to 2ppm as well 4ppm seems to stall the process. you will need to dose every few days now until ammonia is converted in 24hrs.

Yes your nitrites will be off the chart (this is what all your ammonia is turned to), you will be looking at another few weeks yet to convert your nitrites.

You better read this http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/fishless_cycle.php. Also look at the rest of the library.

Dr Tim; http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/fishless/fishless.html note the little graph showing your nitrites. cheers

Sooo yesterday i tested the water... 0.5ppm ammonia, >5 nitrites (still off the chart), and planted two hairgrass and 3 of these other plants but have no idea what they are..

Anyway, tested my water today. and nitrites were at 0.25, ammonia 0.25..

Do the plants absorb nitrites, or was it just a coincident and my tank is almost cycled??

Have you been re dosing with ammonia or have you still been waiting for it to zero out? Nitrites drop fast but that reading does sound strange especially since you still have ammonia. Can you test another source with no known ammonia just to confirm your testing is accurate?

Ok cool you might be nearly cycled then. Just seem strange that you never get zero readings for you ammonia. Yeah test the tap water or an established tank to see if you get zero readings on them for your ammonia and nitrites.

Try not to re dose till it gets to zero, tomorrow hopefully? Dose every 2-3 days to 2ppm to keep your bacterias alive until you stock. Dont re dose with ammonia for the last 48-72 hrs before you stock your tank. Water changes to bring your nitrates down if need be. Multiple smaller daily ones are better to get nitrates down to 10ppm or so before you add your fish.

you need to get your nitrites/nitrates + any surfactants that were in the NH3/NH4+ you used out, this means w/Changes.

probably best done as a 50% / day for next 3 days, then start adding fish, still keeping it fairly slow, your nitrobacter are established but will still have a mini-cycle if you exceed their capabilities...

AND KEEP WATER CHANGES GOING! :thup:

long as there is sufficient flow through a system, the nitrobacter go into a "hibernation" which they can survive for quite a long time. (bout a week or even more) so dont stress too much bout it.

Like I said, it'll be any surfactants that are left in the water from the ammonia you used that will be your next problem. I would suggest holding off till you get a few w/changes done.

Then add fish.

You could probably get away with more than a couple danios, the system should be able to support a few.

Like I said, it'll be any surfactants that are left in the water from the ammonia you used that will be your next problem. I would suggest holding off till you get a few w/changes d

I think Zeebee got some clear ammonia from here in Te Awamutu so she should be sweet without surfactants.

Sounds like your ready for your fish. One of the main advantages of what you have done is being able to fully stock your tank once you are cycled (now)