My fishless cycle..

zeebee

After much researching I decided I would try out fishless cycling in my new aqua one 980t 240L.

Have just used cloudy ammonia from countdown. Asked a man working there if it contains anything but water and ammonia. He advised no. Still not convinced so have emailed countdown and am waiting for reply.

If it turns out it has additives I will cross that bridge then...

Day 1 started adding ammonia until 4ppm. nitrites 0ppm. nitrates 0ppm. ph 8.2

Kept adding ammonia daily to keep at 4ppm.

Day 5 tested for Nitrites.. 5ppm. Ammonia 3ppm.

Day 6 ammonia 3ppm, nitrites off the chart.

Day 7 ammonia 1ppm, nitrites off the chart

Day 8 ammonia 1ppm, nitrites off the chart

Day 9 ammonia 1ppm nitrites still off the chart. tested for nitrates.. 5ppm

Seems to be going ok so far. Just gotta have patience..

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cloudy ammonia has some detergents (surfactant) i believe. (If you shake it it bubbles). Clear ammonia doesnt contain detergents and doesnt bubble. In saying this i have used cloudy ammonia before and it worked. I imagine what small amount of detergents are in there will be hugely diluted in the tank water.

I finally found some clear ammonia at bin inn. It is potent (25%) but thats what i use now.

I cycle slightly different to you though. I does to between 2-4 ppm then test daily til ammonia reads zero. Dont test nitrites, pointless at this stage.

once ammonia is zero for a day or so add the original amount of ammonia (that got you to 2-4ppm) every couple of days until the nitrite is zero. This usually takes twice as long as the ammonia.

I usually combine this with daily 25% water changes as well but to be honest have not found it to make a significant amount of difference in time.

Some say that it help to bring the nitrites down faster but like i said i have not noticed a hell of a lot of difference. Huge water changes early on in the bio cycle can cause large but usually brief spikes in your ammonia or nitrites. As long as your perimeters are right ie zero ammonia, nitrites and say 20 nitrates i guess it doesnt matter how much water you change before your fish go in.

What's the point of the daily water change? My understanding is that you do a 75% ( or was it 100% ) water change once the tank is cycled. And then put the fish in.

If you do a large water change >50% use a dechlorinator as the chlorine in tap water can and will kill the new bacteria.

Some say that it help to bring the nitrites down faster but like i said i have not noticed a hell of a lot of difference. Huge water changes early on in the bio cycle can cause large but usually brief spikes in your ammonia or nitrites. As long as your perimeters are right ie zero ammonia, nitrites and say 20 nitrates i guess it doesnt matter how much water you change before your fish go in.

Since you want to encourage the growth of the bacteria that do the nitrite to nitrate conversion, I can't see how this would work.

The idea of the 100% water change is to remove any contaminants in the original priming solution you used... AFAIR.

The point of cycling your tank is to create the population of bacteria on the filters and other surfaces in your system. Once that happens, you can then replace most of that water with clean aged or dechlorinated water that you know is contaminants free. I guess you can't replace all of it as you will then starve the bacteria.

Surfactants come in many different flavours, only one of which are the oils. I don't know what type of surfactants are used in cloudy ammonia so I don't know if your theory would work or not. I am simple minded obviously as I cannot see why someone would want to add surfactants and probably detergents (and whatever else) to an aquarium. A fish produces exactly the waste that the bacteria you want will feed on and at the correct concentrations so why not just introduce your fish slowly and show a little patience. When I was breeding thousands of fish and when I imported goldfish I never added anything to the water other than fish and never had a problem. I never tested the water either but I did heaps of water changes until everything stabilized. Everyone to their own I guess. I am also dumfounded as to why so many people put teatree oil( MELAFIX) into their tanks.I think we are being blinded by "science" and have forgotten what we are trying to achieve. I suppose it keeps a few people in spending money.

I never tested the water either but I did heaps of water changes until everything stabilized.

So, if you never did any testing how did you know when the system was stable?

AFAIK, the point of a fishless cycle ( apart from sparing the fish any trauma ) is to create a large population of bacteria so that it can handle all of your fish at once ie. no need to add them slowly. The method claims to induce much larger populations than that achieved using dead shrimp or a sacrificial fish.

And if you have an existing tank with live filter material then you can even bypass most of these steps by using that in your new tank.

You change the water often enough to know that the fish are not showing signs of stress. In the good old days (maf have now changed the rules) the trick was to pick the first signs of any trouble with the fish and treat before it got worse.

You are correct with your assumption about fishless cycling and the same applies to cycling with fish.

I have not met anyone who can tell me how much ammonia is equivalent to waste from the first lot of fish they add so how does that avoid stress?

When I started to keep fish a few months ago, and had my first one die on me, at that time I had 5 goldfish in a 50L tank. At this point the LFS told me about water changes ... :facepalm: Ammonia at that point was still less than 4ppm but the fishless cycle as described is supposed to handle 4ppm.

i prefer to set up tank add just a few fish and do regular water changes to cycle a tank

to some fish keeping is an over complicated science

to others it satisfies the mad scientist within them to add magic potions to their brew

You can do it the natural way without using a live fish. Just add some urine until the ammonia is 4 ppm ( or whatever the target you want is reached ). Guaranteed to be sterile ( if you're healthy ), and free of surfactants. And of course you are recycling body fluids :slfg: