Tropical fish temperature

Sweetysmum

I never change my heaters temperature, I normally have it at 26C. Even during summer it never gets over 28C. Do you have a thermometer on the tank? If its too hot maybe do a gradual(slowly) cold water change, therefore lowering the temperature without shocking the fish. If you were to provide a picture of the fish in your other thread it may help with the ID.

Just wondering what temperature members have their tropical tanks set at now while the weather is warmer. My old girl has started to breathe rapidly and stopped eating, and I am wondering if it is to do with the temps. Thank you,

Usually around 26° In the middle of the range for most tropicals. They'll all be fine in that temp.

I keep mine anywhere from 23-30C throughout the year. Our house isn't properly insulated, so my room is freezing in the winter and extremely hot in the summer.

What is an 'Old girl'? I've never heard of that species of fish before :dunno: Maybe give us a link to some info about it or a photo of it, and also the specifications and water parameters of your tank which will make it a bit easier for us to help you :)

Yes she is my clown loach. I have had her 28 years. I asked the question about water temp and also have another post going under diseases as these last couple of days she has become unwell and I wondered if it could be to do with temps. PH ammonia and nitrite are okay. She lives in a six foot tank with only one other fish.

The last couple days she has started breathing very very rapidly and wont eat, and the protective coating they have on their bodies is coming away. Have just emailed my vet to see if he has any ideas.

Mine is at 26 degrees. I try to keep them at that, in summer it manages to creep up to 28, but with the new heatpump its more manageable, so not too bad :thup: Your fishie is a beauty. How long do they usually live, 28 is very old, she is having an awesome life :love:

It must be hard not knowing what is wrong with her after having her for so long. It might not be temperature if it is always kept the same for so many years. Or she could be more sensitive to slight changes now in her old age.

Maybe she is losing her slime coat in a similar way to humans losing their hair/teeth/sight/hearing in their old age. :cry:

I doubt your clown loach will be troubled by high temperatures, in fact its beneficial to keep them around 29-30C. If anything it will be problems associated with the high temperature like lower oxygen saturation, or perhaps just old age...

+1

I keep mine at 29ish give or take a couple of degrees and they are healthy as, I would lower the water level so the filter return is splashing at the top of the water. I have heard of clowns' living to 50+ years on loaches online

maybe she is lonely there schooling fish... im sure you know that though

awsum fish though very well done :nfs:

It's very sad watching her like this. Gave pump a clean, so hopefully that will help with oxygen levels. I am beginning to think that does have something to do with it. And her age isn't helping. She has lost more coating and a wee while ago tried to swim and wasn't able to keep her balance very well.

I think its possibly her age although I know that there are cases of them living for a lot longer. Are you able to or have you added an air line to your tank to add or oxygen to the water or alternatively if you can move the filter so that it creates more surface movement that will also help.

If the tank is a standard shape, there is no film on the surface, and there is surface movement, the oxygen levels should not suddenly change. Presumably you're not using a water source such as RO or boiled water both of which deplete O2. And your other fish is not stressed. So, it must be something else.

If the tank is a standard shape, there is no film on the surface, and there is surface movement, the oxygen levels should not suddenly change. Presumably you're not using a water source such as RO or boiled water both of which deplete O2. And your other fish is not stressed. So, it must be something else.

Even if you do a water change with some water that doesn't have any dissolved O2 any reasonable amount of airation should bring the level up again within minutes or an hour at the most.

The protective coating is looking white while it is on her today. I am collecting something from my vet this arvo in case it is a bacterial infection. He said if it was a fungus it would't cover so much of her body. GOsh to look at the pics of her on this post and to see her at the moment :cry: