Clown Loach started breathing very rapidly

Sweetysmum

checked Ph ammonia and nitrite last night and all was okay. The slimey stuff I am pretty sure is the protective coating they have over their body. I have found more since. Unfortunately she is quite old, so she has her age against her. She has been blind in one eye for many many years and the other eye is looking raised and cloudyish.

I read that those stress coat products work by adding some type of irritant to the water to induce the fish to secrete more of the slime.

If there have been no changes in water parameters for a long time, and no new fish introduced for a long time, then one might deduce that the fish is sick from a bacterial infection, and less likely a parasite or worm, and that is why she is losing her slime coat.

Cool ... the vet and I agree :thup: What antibiotic did the vet dispense? Kanamycin?

You could've grabbed some of the water before the antibiotic bath and plated it on an agar plate to see what bugs grow to get a bacteriological diagnosis. I remember doing this stuff when I was at uni.

I suspect the vet could be treating for haemorhagic septicemia which is a gram negative bacterial disease caused by aeromonas hydrrophila, a bacteria causing varied signs of disease and being common in water. Particularly a problem for fish with a compromised immune system (which can happen with old age). It is a disease maf watch out for signs of in quarantine of fish. Only a guess.