Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

testing water

Featured Replies

I currently use the api test strips to test my water every couple of weeks for my own peace of mind. I think they are kinda rubbish and hard to read. So i need to upgrade, was looking at the api master test kits that do ammonia, ph, nitrite and nitrate.

Am wondering if i would be better off getting a gh/kh test kit and a nitate test kit instead. From what i understand gh/kh help to balance the ph and nitrate will tell me will tell me what condition the water is in.

What does everyone else use?

I don't really test the tanks I look after (my own, and a local school and kindy). Unless something goes wrong, I know if I don't overfeed, look after the filters and do a water change none of the fish are especially "precious".

You could try a once-a-month test if a local pet store does them free? Personally I would just test ammonia/nitrite if I was concerned, and KH/PH if I had difficult fish or plants. Otherwise, if you really do have hardy cichlids, don't worry about it.

I'll let someone else give you another opinion...

I never test my tank either but if something goes wrong knowing the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels can help diagnose the problem.

Hi I use the API master kit and a Kh/GH hardness kit. I think you need to test your water at least for piece of mind if nothing else. Its reasonably important to have your Kh (carbonate) at a good level to stabilise your PH. Level of PH isnt really as critical as the stability.

I think you should have both kits, no doubt you'll use them all at some stage.

I wouldn't bother either mate once you have experience and good stable cycled tanks and a maintenance schedule there is not allot of point in regular water testing. I haven't used a test kit in years..

Upuntill this monday I had never tested any of my tanks, but I saw an API master testkit on special so I grabed it.

I now have conformation that my main tank is in a mini cycle after a complete teardown and move - something I new anyway.

I did want to keep an eye on my big tank as I always have cyanobacteria (blue/green algee) in there. It is mostly unplanted though.

What intrested me the most was that there is a large difference in ph between my two main tanks when I thought that they would be both would be about 6.6 - 6.8

The main tank is at a low 6.4 and the small torrie/bullie tank is at a very high 7.6 - both have driftwood and a sand/pebble substrate :dunno:

Where?

I hate to admit it but I was in at the new animates in hamilton on bridge street - $61-ish.

:smot: man they look like a supermarket dont they?

Upuntill this monday I had never tested any of my tanks, but I saw an API master testkit on special so I grabed it.

I now have conformation that my main tank is in a mini cycle after a complete teardown and move - something I new anyway.

I did want to keep an eye on my big tank as I always have cyanobacteria (blue/green algee) in there. It is mostly unplanted though.

What intrested me the most was that there is a large difference in ph between my two main tanks when I thought that they would be both would be about 6.6 - 6.8

The main tank is at a low 6.4 and the small torrie/bullie tank is at a very high 7.6 - both have driftwood and a sand/pebble substrate :dunno:

could be plenty of reasons. amount of driftwood, nitrates, added salts? the main thing is that the Ph is stable. (carbonate levels)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.