Traditional Christmas ideas

mcrudd

Hi all, I would like to know what you guys eat as your traditional Christmas dinner. We would like to try and have a Kiwi traditional dinner this year. I know the guy at the butcher said a champagne ham and roasted turkey is a must and the lady at the bakery said pavlova is a must, but what other stuff do you have with it. I heard something about a Christmas pudding as well, is that similar to a malva pudding you get in South africa or is it different. I have two kids to consider as well, 12 year old boy and a very fussy little 7 year old girl. Thanks in advance for any advice :wink:

malva pudding explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malva_Pudding

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jy MOET boerewors en braai-vleis he! :an!gry

pavlova is dieselfde soos 'n groot meringue, lol.

En daar is nix dieselfde van ouma se malva poeding nie! !drool:

Maar, as jy moet a poeding he, die kinders wat ek die beste is die self-Sauceerstroop! :thup:

ek weet my afrikaans is nie die beste nie... maar ek het gedink ek moet dit iewers gebruik... :wink:

Honey glazed ham yumm and roast chicken is what we always have.

And Pavlova or steamed xmas pudding with custard and cream. its a kind of fruit cake, sometimes soaked in a little brandy.

Thanks, I need to learn how to do the glazing, will google for lots of ideas, Hubby wants to go super big, because its our first Christmas as true citizens and in our own first house :thup:

Jy MOET boerewors en braai-vleis he! :an!gry

pavlova is dieselfde soos 'n groot meringue, lol.

En daar is nix dieselfde van ouma se malva poeding nie! !drool:

Maar, as jy moet a poeding he, die kinders wat ek die beste is die self-Sauceerstroop! :thup:

ek weet my afrikaans is nie die beste nie... maar ek het gedink ek moet dit iewers gebruik... :wink:

:rotf: Cricketman jy het my dag gemaak. Jou afrikaans is baie goed. Ons eet elke week 'n lekker braaivleisie met boerewors gekoop by Aussie butcher en sosatie wors mmmm met lekker mielie pap en sous. Malva pudding eet ons so een keer 'n maand en peppermintchrisp tert en cremora tert met verjaarsdae LOL

So we still have some south african food occasionally, I only have my Pronutro for brekkie too, its the best cereal in the world, but this year we want to try a little something different than the traditional South african braaivleis feast :wink:

Ooh and don't forget Ouma's rusk in the mornings mmmmm the Karamel one mmmm

ek nie graag hierdie onderwerp meer nie.... !drool: !drool: !drool:

I miss just the old Spar melk tert... &c:ry and chappies! Its never the things you think you'll miss...

EDIT: KOEKSISTERS!!!! !drool:

36367_1544883108988_1442319554_31428054_3492190_n.jpg

mmm yes Koeksisters, our little Out of Africa shop sells the yummiest ones ever, I fail at making them, but will try again soon. The pic is of the above tarts mmmmm it was for my daughters birthday hence the butterflies. Oooh Cricketman we make our own Biltong as well !drool:

Klink goed.Ek wil hê dat sommige Afrika-kos om te probeer..

Try this, Its one way to glaze a ham, I use clover honey instead of sugar. ... http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/410965/463380

Thanks I bookmarked the recipe, looks delicious :) Very good Afrikaans too :thup:

I miss the did you know chappies as well, I used to read the little paper while chewing away. And spar did make the best melktert ever, checkers never came close to their recipe :thup:

Not a fan of turkey myself. We usually have chicken, sometimes ham, and veg/salads followed by pavlova, jelly, ice cream and trifle. I hate Christmas pudd.

That malva looks tasty!

We are going to try the turkey wrapped in bacon this year, never did it before LOL. mmm trifle looks yum, I will give you the recipe of Malva then you can try it, just going to go hunt for it in the kitchen now brb :)

Malva Pudding Recipe (Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius)

Pudding ingredients :

15g butter (0.5oz)

125ml sugar (half a cup)

1 egg

250ml milk (one cup)

250ml flour (1 cup)

15 g apricot jam (0.5oz)

5ml vinegar

5ml bicarb

Cream the butter and sugar together and then add the egg.

Add milk and flour alternatively into the butter mixture.

Mix vinegar, bicarb and apricot jam together and add to mixture.

Pour into a greased dish

Bake at 180 degrees celcius for 45 minutes

Syrup ingredients: (make this once pudding is cooked through)

a quarter cup of sugar

half a cup of milk

tablespoon of butter

Put the sugar, milk and butter in a pot and bring to a boil, once pudding is cooked prick it full of little holes and pour the boiling syrup over (don't pour cold syrup over it will be chaotic (sp) )

Once syrup is poured over leave it in the oven for another five minutes, remove and let it cool a bit.

You can serve it with custard or some nice vanilla ice cream :thup:

36367_1544883108988_1442319554_31428054_3492190_n.jpg

mmm yes Koeksisters, our little Out of Africa shop sells the yummiest ones ever, I fail at making them, but will try again soon. The pic is of the above tarts mmmmm it was for my daughters birthday hence the butterflies. Oooh Cricketman we make our own Biltong as well !drool:

Ban... !drool:

Here is something to try:

Will work with a turkey, large chicken or rabbit.

It comes out as if it was cooked by a Chinese chef in a hangi (Maori oven for those from SA)

You make a big pile of playdough about 2kg of salt and the same of flour, add water till it is moist enough to roll out like pastry about 5-6mm thick

Take 1/4 cup light soy sauce and add a tablespoon of honey. Melt in microwave and add a teaspoon of crushed garlic and crushed ginger.

Marinade the outside of the beast them put the remainder inside and sow up all the holes at both ends.

Wrap in aluminium foil and fold over the edges to seal.

Wrap the whole thing in the playdough and moisten and seal the joints.

Cook at 130 deg C for 4 hours (until it looks like a gold brown loaf of bread).

You will need an axe to cut the top off to get acces to the beast but it is well worth it and will keep a turkey very moist.

I have done it with turkey, chicken and a wild rabbit stuffed with rabbit back steaks. You could also stuff a chicken or turkey with quail.

If you realy want a traditional NZ hangi start digging a hole in the back yard. That is what we had at a friends place last year. Hard to beat.

aww don't ban me because I make yummy tarts Cricketman :wink:

alanmin4304 that sounds like a very good idea, I will give that a try. We go all the way to Taupo Wairakei village once a year to have the hangi, we go mostly for the food and singsong while eating. We just love the traditional Maori Hangi and music. Its our family treat :happy2: I will deffinetly give this playdough thing a go, its quite nervewrecking for me to try and cook, I am a throw it all together type person LOL but I will give it a go this year :wink:

Our christmas dinner (which I am doing this year) will be Roast Turkey, Sausagemeat stuffing, new potatoes, carrots and fresh peas which will be shelled in the morning. A Christmas ham will also be on offer but as one of the family is celiac it will not be glazed. Our concession to the fact that Christmas Day up in Auckland is often humid is that salads (3 types) will replace the traditional roast vegetables (potatoes, pumpkin, parsnip and onions). Gravy will be on offer as will cranberry jelly.

Deserts will be pavlova, fresh fruit salad, christmas pudding with sixpences in it and custard. Due to popular demand there will also be a family favourite which has come down through the generations, chocolate chip desert which is chocolate chip biscuits soaked in sherry and layered together with cream. This will replace a trifle.

Drinks - wine, sparkling grape juice and fizzy.

On the table, candles and crackers.

We have a wonderful selection at our place.

Brekkie is normally toast, orange juice, fried bacon and eggs, hash browns, and fried tomato.

Lunch is the bigger meal of the day. Roasts of Chicken (NOT Turkey), Lamb, Beef and of course, Champange ham!

A simple, yet damn delicious glazing for the ham: Roses Orange Marmelade. It's available from most supermarkets. It's simple and its great.

Fresh spuds boiled, with plenty of butter. Some roasted spud, kumara and pumpkin also. Salads are simple. Generally unfinished.

Dinner (aka supper) is generally left overs from lunch.

Pudding is vanilla icecream, various jellies, apple crumble, custard... I'm getting hungry....

Pavlova is a must. Fresh cream on top, with strawberries. Kiwifruit ruins it IMO. Pav always tastes better if you make it yourself. It's not too hard to do, just cook it late at night and don't open the oven til the morning.

Drinks during the day: If you like alcohol, most people knock a few back. For those of us who don't drink, try SunCountry grape juice, either red or white is fine.

Hope you have a good one!

Oooh Adrienne and Sheepsnana that sounds so yummy !drool: I am loving reading about everyones ideas. I will sneak something from you each. Adrienne your salad idea is lovely, especiallly since we are not really veggie fans kids and parents included LOL. Sheepsnana I love your Sun Country grapejuice idea since I have never had alcohol, only one that drinks very little as well is hubby, so I will look into that, thanks for the ideas. Keep them coming guys, I am going to have a Christmas feast with a little idea from you all :)

edited to add, LOL Spoon we are not real Sherry type people, but I might consider trying to make a non alcoholic type trifle :wink:

Our trifle is non-alcoholic. Just use orange juice :wink:

Sounds like we might be BBQing this year.

Thanks Caryl, I would try that. BBQing is fun, cause the husband does most of the work LOL. I gave you the Malva recipe on the first page. Let me know once you tried it if you like it :)

Argh... stop talking about the peppermintchrisp tert... or I will have to ban you as Cricketman suggests! !drool:

:rotf: would you like the recipe Zev, I have changed it so it uses mostly nz products you only need to buy tennis biscuits and you get those at any pack and save with an international isle :)

I would have made it tonight except for a lack of apricot jam (and ice cream) :facepalm:

I can drive short distances so a trip to the supermarket is on tomorrow :happy2:

Oooh happy days, let me know what you think of it once you made it, I love Malva pudding and that is my grandmothers recipe and she was a true boeretannie (farmers wife)