surgery on fish ?? urgent!!

wee2

I am frustrated as a kinda tumor bulging out on the inner corner of my Texas' left eyeball.has anyone done a surgery on fish before. wonder whether I can gouge the tumor out to save his life or take off the whole eye??? :sick: I know it sounds scary but is there anyone has a better option.

__.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am frustrated as a kinda tumor bulging out on the inner corner of my Texas' left eyeball.has anyone done a surgery on fish before. wonder whether I can gouge the tumor out to save his life or take off the whole eye??? I know it sounds scary but is there anyone has a better option.

Whoa whoa whoa. Before you go cutting off its eye, how are you going to keep it from bacteria and fungal infections, how are you going to stop the bleeding?, how will it do with one eye?, how do you plan on cutting off the eye? What if the infection is deeper than what you think?

A few things to ponder before you go hacking at it. I've never cut open a fish and don't ever plan too. D you think it will survive the night so you can take it to a qualified person to get it removed?

Whoa whoa whoa. Before you go cutting off its eye, how are you going to keep it from bacteria and fungal infections, how are you going to stop the bleeding?, how will it do with one eye?, how do you plan on cutting off the eye? What if the infection is deeper than what you think?

A few things to ponder before you go hacking at it. I've never cut open a fish and don't ever plan too. D you think it will survive the night so you can take it to a qualified person to get it removed?

have seen some fish has one eyebefore. curoius how they have survived. bacteria, funal infection, bleeding these are all what I am concerning at the moment.

bro remove it into your little tank..

dose some rock salt if you have any..

i think melifix or primafix is treatment for those eye popping syp..

google for syptom diease for treatment bro..

he is in the small tank. in a good condition. has treated with some stress coat. Dont know if it works.

losing one eye is not good, i had a adult jag that has one eye..very hard for it to recover from that sort of wound..

I know one eye causes inconenience but at least can save him. can your one eye Jag get food easily

Working in Veterinary Medicine I certainly wouldn't recommend 'gouging' out the fishes eye or the tumour. Firsty it is inhumane to do such a thing without any form of anaesthesia or pain relief, secondly- you have no idea what you are dealing with below the skins surface. There is likely to be blood vessels supplying the tumour which could result in not only extreme pain but death due to blood loss. Also how were you planning on removing the eye/tumour? In opthamology (treatment of the eye), the instruments used are very sharp which allow delicate removal of tissue without damage to the surrounding area. You would need to consider how you would stop the bleeding which chould be near to impossible- getting something to clot while in water is a little tricky!

I know one eye causes inconenience but at least can save him. can your one eye Jag get food easily

fish can sense food, but trying to compete with other fish for food is a big issue..

i think Furan2 will do the trick, i try to catch up with you in the weekend.. :cofn:

1) Is the fishes quality of life deteriorated by the tumor/growth?

If no, leave it be. If yes:

2) is it worth taking its life in your hands to try a complicated and potentially deadly surgery...

If yes, go get it done by someone who knows what they are doing, ie vet or similiar.

If it is deteriorating its quality of life, but is not worth taking to the vet or other, then may I suggest euthenasia as the most humane course of action.

Do you have any photos of the injury?

I am with the others don't even attempt to operate unless you know what you are doing, I suspect it is just an eye injury which usually heals anyway, worst case the fish looses its eye and depending on the dynamics of the tank or if it is male/female etc they can still live a healthy life with 1 eye.

1) Is the fishes quality of life deteriorated by the tumor/growth?

If no, leave it be. If yes:

2) is it worth taking its life in your hands to try a complicated and potentially deadly surgery...

If yes, go get it done by someone who knows what they are doing, ie vet or similiar.

If it is deteriorating its quality of life, but is not worth taking to the vet or other, then may I suggest euthenasia as the most humane course of action.

have to go for the option 1 I guess as no one suggests to cut it. it apparently dosent deteriorate his life now but will be sooner and later as the 'tumor' is getting bigger

Most tumours in fish are not life-threatening or inclined to spread. They tend to be caused by viruses.

no, it is apparently not at the moment. but getting worse. he is in a tank by itself and treated with Melafix and formarin. finger crossed