Crypt Tank 2.0

N1CK

Missing my Crypts, kinda Jen's fault.

Click on the pictures to make them bigger, figured I'd be taking loads of pictures and making them linked would save a bit of space.

6330812613_16307e1283_m.jpg

My Cheap, $10 light fittings from Bunnings that look oh so amazing.

6330812721_ee84e3439c_m.jpg

Different Angle, excuse the mess on the desk, was studying for exams earlier today.

6331566734_d9b5e4030d_m.jpg

Bit o' Humidity in there already.

Now I just need some Crypts in there, should have some in tomorrow.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick, Where have you been hiding.

When the old Crypt tank got infested with mould, I was never able to get rid of it. Kind of went off fish about then. Could never get the 5ft tank to look decent either lol.

What crypts are you getting?

ATM, I have C. Undulata (I think) to go in and another one, which I can not remember the name of right now. What Crypts I want to get, as many as I can fit in the 2ft Tank? :D

First two Crypts are in using up my only two terracotta pots, need to get back to Palmer's lol.

6333338304_d1d94a3df8_o.jpg

C. Affinis, about 3 smaller plants potted up in this one.

6333338042_7493033ca1_o.jpg

C. Undulata

6332588125_9240c38473_o.jpg

Now comes with water.

Substrate is a 50/50 mix of top soil and an Aquatic soil mix with a small amount of leaf litter. Then a JBL ball placed in the middle of each pot.

Substrate is kind of light though and I have some gravel that I would like to use to cover it up. Only problem is it originally had some MTS in it but it has been dried out for over a year. So is it safe to use without the risk of the MTS coming back and am I just being paranoid? Or should I be getting some other gravel?

Looking good Nick.

Remember to allow some ventilation once the plants become established or you will end up with the mould like last time.

Do you have a heater in there? At this time of the year you prob wont need it as it will get too hot in there. I gave up with the heater in mine as it is in my fish room and the temp in there stayed at about 18 during winter.

Once the plants establish they are fairly hardy as long as it stays humid. Not wet just humid.

One of my Crypts that I left outside last year was still alive in July.

Let me know when you are ready for those plants.

Do you have a heater in there? At this time of the year you prob wont need it as it will get too hot in there. I gave up with the heater in mine as it is in my fish room and the temp in there stayed at about 18 during winter.

There's a small 25w heater hiding at the back, water temp was sitting at around 20 deg. without it, so I decided to stick it in.

Looking good Nick.

Remember to allow some ventilation once the plants become established or you will end up with the mould like last time.

I will remember about the venilation this time, lol. Don't want another repeat of mould.

One of my Crypts that I left outside last year was still alive in July.

Let me know when you are ready for those plants.

Any time will do, getting another half dozen pots tomorrow :D

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't had a camera for the past few weeks, so haven't been able to update. Lots of pictures here to make up for it. All of these bar C. Affinis and Undulata were planted on the 18th of Nov

6469993463_46417abc32_o.jpg

My Desk

6469997359_83c1760341_o.jpg

Full tank shot.

6469996077_fbf2b1bb36_o.jpg

C. Undulata, this converted to emersed growth almost immediately.

6362325733_54906c81aa_o.jpg

Glosso, 19th of November.

6469996513_4d0ea04abb_o.jpg

Glosso, 7th of December. Taken root over the past week and has shot out a lot of runners.

6469997023_a2d472a830_o.jpg

C. Cordata

6469994605_cc0a853a36_o.jpg

Blassi. Looking pretty pitiful atm, although 2 new leaves are growing so it should look a bit better soon.

6469995347_2250747eef_o.jpg

C. Retrospiralis had a bit of trouble growing Balansae emersed last time as the leaves ended up growing in to the water and the ends melted off, going to see if I can keep the longer leaves from melting off in this tank.

6469998145_fe65c34510_o.jpg

Un-I.D'ed Crypt. According to Jen, this could possibly be C. Wendtii 'red' or something else, can't remember what the other one was.

Also a little bit of what (I think) is lilaeopsis novo zelandiae in the back of that pot.

6469997731_c3806dc4df_o.jpg

C. Willisi, was hard to get even a half decent photo of, camera would not focus on the actual plant :facepalm:

6469995061_a254bbb363_o.jpg

L. Repens growing emersed doing the best out of all the plants in there at the moment.

6469995677_4bdf450339_o.jpg

New leaf coming out :D

6469998563_a6c58a008a_o.jpg

Runty being a photobomber/attention seeker, facials included.

Now to wait for my grandad to finish raising his baby gold fish in this tanks twin and get another one started up, not entirely sure when I will be getting it back though.

I am going to get one of those light fittings for my loach tank, you have inspired me.

I like the photobomber :gigl:

$10 each from bunnings and about $7 for the lights, 6500K 22w. Works great :)

He's a cute little kitty when he wants to be, but he has an evil side, lol. Chases me down the hallway and tries to hamstring me.

• 2 weeks later...

Few things have changed, so I figured I would update.

Most prominent change was to remove one of the Crypts, as the pot was blocking the water from flowing around the tank. Also Means I may be able to get a few floating java ferns somewhere. Looking through all the pictures I took, I never actually got one of this, oops.

Figured I would link all the pictures, making them smaller on here in the process. Takes a bit longer to get them like this but saves a lot of space.

L. Repens, C. Willisi and C. Undulata

6552896173_5f1b6d4d7e_m.jpg 6552895541_f1d9d3fdb0_m.jpg

C. Cordata and 'blassi' These are really slow growing, having only stuck out one leaf each in the time that C. Undulata has had 3, almost 4.

6552898341_7948713d0e_m.jpg 6552897985_55e249b44c_m.jpg 6552894125_9c83129fb0_m.jpg

Glosso. It's thriving in here, taking up almost half the pot already.

6552896907_4a061230fe_m.jpg 6552897209_304aacd48b_m.jpg

C. Retrospiralis Added a small stem of Star grass in this pot, seeing if it will grow emersed or not.

6552895025_a4ae86989d_m.jpg

un-I.D'ed Crypt Has sent out a few new leaves. atm is looking like it could be a C. Wendtii, few stems of Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae in there as well.

6552894637_d36ba0bee3_m.jpg

C. Affinis The three small plants have all melted off and are slowly coming back now. Few strands of Xmas Moss in there as well, some emersed, some clinging submersed to the side of the pot

6552896551_9d9e6b421e_m.jpg

Not to do with Crypts, but a picture of the leaf finally coming out on my A. Amazonica

6552897499_27d8502a3c_m.jpg

Looking good - the cat needs a caption though :wink:

Something like, "Gonna sneeze... Gonna sneeze..."? ;)

Wow excellent work, you're doing very well :hail: !drool:

Just wondered what willisii do you have, the proper one or the willisii lucens? It seems the lucens is pretty common and is the one that most people have. I'm pretty sure mine is the proper willisii, which is bigger than the lucens and has longer leaves. I can send you some if you want and you can see if there is much difference between the flowers :thup:

You're the master! !drool:

Not yet :P Once I get a few to flower I'll be a little closer though lol.

Looking good. Stargrass (Heteranthera zosteraefolia) grows really well emersed

Does it still get the long green leaves? Or does it look different in its emersed form.

Just wondered what willisii do you have, the proper one or the willisii lucens? It seems the lucens is pretty common and is the one that most people have. I'm pretty sure mine is the proper willisii, which is bigger than the lucens and has longer leaves. I can send you some if you want and you can see if there is much difference between the flowers :thup:

I wasn't actually aware that there was a difference between the two, Jen sent it to me labeled just as willisii, maybe she could enlighten us? :D Atm it is rather small, each leaf/steam being around 5cm in length.

As to sending me some, there isn't much room left in the tank right now and am waiting for the twin to this tank to return from my grandads once he is finished growing out his goldfish.

Full tank shot. Showing how little room there is and I forgot to take one yesterday.

6556940935_e65b68f8da_m.jpg