How do they know?

ally07

Just a conundrum which I've inflicted upon myself recently and haven't been able to figure out myself...

How do fish know how big they are in relation to other fish?

Points I've come up with:

1. Fish are unable to identify themselves in mirrors like humans and chimps - they think that the fish in the mirror is another fish and will attack it.

2. Large predatory fish somehow know that some prey are too large while others are edible - but how do they know without knowing the size of their own stomaches and jaws??

Can anybody shed some light? :smln:

I think some fish open their mouths at eachother to compare the jaw size, if they are similar they will fight if one is quite a bit smaller it will swim away.

Lol. I like this theory. Open your mouth as wide as possible and swim straight at each other. If you feel full afterwards then you were the biggest. If you feel cramped and it's dark, you were the smaller.

Lol. I like this theory. Open your mouth as wide as possible and swim straight at each other. If you feel full afterwards then you were the biggest. If you feel cramped and it's dark, you were the smaller.

LOL! There's a certain resignation to one's fate in this theory. Kinda like, "Oh, what the heck, I had a good run - let's see if I survive another day." The Russian roulette of nature lol.

I have had this face off with a number of pieces of chocolate and can tell you my mouth was bigger than theirs was

Large predatory fish somehow know that some prey are too large while others are edible - but how do they know without knowing the size of their own stomaches and jaws??

Iv seen many instances where large fish too cocky try to swallow fish far too large. Like alanmin4304 has said it is simply an experienced understanding of there capability's.