Squirt's 30L Iwagumi New Photos 17.06.2012

Squirt

Seriously that stuff will cloud your water like crazy if it gets into the water column. I bought a bag once and tested it in a bucket and decided that it was too messy and would be best only for a long-term setup like a dutch tank or something. I just wanted a bit to cap with some gravel for growing plants short-term until I can get a better tank. But then if I went to change things around or remove the substrate I could foresee the mess it wouldmake and I didn't use it and just turfed it into the garden. 3cm minimum, and I'd get something that packs together fairly well like fine sand.

I've had great results from the JBL balls and they don't create any mess if they're disturbed.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, you'll want to aim for 3cm but a little bit less in the tops of the bumps won't hurt. It WILL mess your water up if you move any plants later on but it takes about 4 or so hours to clear up with a good filter.

Are you going for a hairgrass carpet? It'll grow really really well in a sand like daltons #1 or builders mix. I found my hairgrass tended to grow on top of the silica sand I had, because it compacts down too much, but it grew through the daltons sand (which is what I think you're hoping to achieve).

Okay, I've been given some suggestions on another site, I'm thinking the rocks aren't right. Any places locally to get nice aquascaping rocks that look more natural? I liked the way the rocks are scaled but not the rocks? I don't really know where to go from here :dunno:

Cool, I quite liked one as well :thup: I'll snap some more pics of it in a second

Ok here's the filter so far, it leaks and has no media so yeah....

Canister and pump

de75a62d.jpg

37d84f20.jpg

Pump in lid

c98fde6c.jpg

Cut hole for cord

6ce5d3f7.jpg

047f3ef2.jpg

In place

ebe2f37e.jpg

Bent piece of Perspex to reinforce the hole made in the side of container

b293dbeb.jpg

The elbow for intake. Note: I later replaced this for a new elbow

1e150377.jpg

In place again

4d39bfc1.jpg

bd1e42d8.jpg

No major leaks but I'm having trouble sealing the slit cut for the cord :nilly:

Okay, I find my filter doesn't work, I have bought a new container and don't want to screw this one up...

Okay questions

Should the pump be at the top of the filter or the bottom? If I had it at the top like in previous pictures what if there isn't enough water flowing in from the gravity? Ie it's gravity fed, and the pump is pumping out more water than what is being fed? Is this possible?

I do not want the pump in the aquarium and don't know how to make it suck instead of push. Can anyone assist in helping with this?

lol i made one with a systema container like this for my pond. I made mine 'inline' i guess you could call it. Suction hose from pond going to pump inlet, pump outlet going into the canister from the bottom (sealed with silicone), canister filled with media, outlet on lid (hose tail siliconed in place), hose into spray-bar, water into pond. works a treat :) Don't cut the sealing surface the lid o-ring seals onto. It will leak no matter how much silicone you use haha

HTH

Haha cheers mean drawing. I was planning on putting the pump on the outside but it'd be a pain because it's got a grate before the filter and it's like meh. I'll have to cut the container and I'll only slit it so if I dill a hole for the cord and a slit from the top to the drilled hole, if that makes sense.... We shall see how it seals. This new container I bought doesn't seal anyway so I have created a custom seal via the method Ira gave (thanks you :kiss: ) gave on the other topic, ie put silicone around the lid and then smear Vaseline on it and the press the top and the container together... We shall see how it works.

I was asking on plantedtank and they didn't like my hardscape. :slfg: . Oh well I'm no professional just a bored teenager with a hobby :wave:

Okay an update on how the tank looks now.

I think this is how it will stay, after some guy trying to help me on another forum (just a bit of criticism :thup: ), I think it looks good for a newbie

c5253b2d.jpg

Maybe the front rock on the right move left a bit but I'm not doing any major changes now. Like it, like it not " You learn more from the mistakes than from the successes".

I'll post an update on the filter when I'm certain the silicone has cured...

Now capped with sand, no going back now... :slfg:

Should the pump be at the top of the filter or the bottom? If I had it at the top like in previous pictures what if there isn't enough water flowing in from the gravity? Ie it's gravity fed, and the pump is pumping out more water than what is being fed? Is this possible?
If you get the container to seal then it will be sucking the water, not just gravity flow.

I would drill another hole in the lid for the cord and rewire the plug, but not something I would get joe average to do unless they had a sparky mate ;)

The other way could be to take the grill off the pump and see if it can then be attached to a pipe.

Goodluck

Hi blueether

I will try to get it pressure tight and no I don't have any sparky mates that can do it, so Im kind of stuck putting it inside or outside, if it's outside you don't have to cut the cord and cut open the grate, if it's inside you have to get a sparky to wire it up or cut the container. Hmm I'll think about it today.

Thanks

Matt

Drill a whole in the top and cut the wire to put through. Its easy to rewire. Just solder the wires, stagger joins, heat shrink over the soldered joins. And then heat again shrink over the whole lot. Done.

Are you using hot glue to seal everything? Silicon might be easier or maybe a plastic welding glue.

It looks like a good Idea what you have done. you just need it airtight and you should have the pump sucking water through.