Squirt's 30L Iwagumi New Photos 17.06.2012

Squirt

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much you can do without a PAR meter, so the idea, more light allows the plants to absorb more nutrients, garden soil as a substrate though? What kind, topsoil or just a spade in the garden?

I didn't see much about CO2 in the first 5 pages that I read. He says he doesn't use CO2 and his tanks look stunning. :bow: and he says riccia sucks the nutrients out of the water column(I'm guessing this is because it doesn't have roots) and if this is so, would the substrate fertilizer Supply Ferts to root plants?

It's all really confusing probably because I don't know half the stuff he's saying.

So riccia, needs high lights (to an estimation on PAR) and lots of Ferts in the water? I'm thinking riccia and hairgrass. Riccia for carpet an nice rock feature and hairgrass as a backdrop. With some kind of grassy look in the rocks.

Edit

I'm thinking of using twisted Val as a side like in his pic

aquarium_AGA_DJS0069.jpg

http://www.jeremysquires.com/img/aquarium/aquarium_AGA_DJS0069.jpg

A few tanks that I like he looks of, I do like the iwagumi look

utricularia-graminifolia.jpg

http://www.aquaportail.com/aquabdd/photos/utricularia-graminifolia.jpg

4-aquarium-oliver-knott.jpg

http://www.oliver-knott.com/uploads/pics/4-aquarium-oliver-knott.jpg

1_Autumn_Sunrise_4.jpg

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/gallery/images/769/medium/1_Autumn_Sunrise_4.jpg

Can any one ID any plants? Umm hairgrass is the only one I know for Iwagumi, and something Called HC I don't have a clue what this is, but everyone talks about it.

And where do you find rocks like that? I looked up the river, but nothing but round ones. And silica sand, in wellington, where do you buy it? I may see if the new LFS can get some in. If anyone in Wellington can help much appreciated.

I may just go low tech on this tank, I have seen people set up nanos with regular desk lamps, is this really possible, and if I'm going low tech on this tank how big of a light should I be looking at.

And any suggestions for a background colour is also appreciated, was pondering black, but then I'm scared it would look too dark.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks in advance

Matt

N1CK said that the first one looks like Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae, although I'd have to disagree as it looks too tall, and L. n-z is quite short. I'd say it is either L. brasiliensis or maurtitiana.

I found an article on that last tank once, and it said that the stem plant was Rotala rotundifolia and the green stuff on the wood/rocks is Riccia fluitans which has been tied down to prevent it from floating.

HTH :)

Ok after a leak test (I just filled it to the rim because I'm too lazy to do the add 25% each day for 24hrs) and it's leak proof, I marked the water level with a marker and it's still sitting on that line. No pics as its pretty boring :slfg:

Time to start looking at substrat and rocks, and a big thanks to BURN for offering to send me some riccia :bow:

I have decided to go with a white background, so I'll just use some A4 sheets of paper, or art paper (because it's thicker).

Will update in one week from tomorrow!

Edit: after rummaging through some of the garden fertilizers we have, I have found one that seems to be promising.

It contains

N.P.K

Trace elements

These are all 0%

Nitrogen(N) as ammonium

Phosphorus(P) as phosphates

Potassium(K) as potassium chloride

Sulphur(S) and sulphates

Copper(Cu) as copper chelate

Iron(Fe) as ferrous chelate

Manganese(Mn) as manganese chelate

Zinc(Zn) as zinc chelate

Boron(B) as borax

Magnesium(Mg) as magnesium oxide

Molybdenum(Mo) as molybdate

And

Calcium(Ca) as calcium carbonate 32%

Picture

e6a67a7c.jpg

Is this any good? I've heard the NPK in aquarium fertilizers before.

it's impossible to say if it's of use until you have decided whether to go low tech or high. If you go low tech I'd say no, leave the ferts out, or just put a few JBL balls in the substrate for the plants with roots. If you are going high tech then you get a :dunno: from me :D

:slfg: it all depends on the cost of everything. If I do decide to go high tech, I'd have a DIY CO2 with diffuser ect and "high" estimate of light the best I can do with out a PAR meter and Ferts.

I'm torn to go high tech so the riccia can grow on rocks. I still have to finalize plants. Probably hairgrass or twisted Val and riccia.

Okay a few drawings of what id like to do, I'm not sure about it yet, this or, having two rock features at each back corner, then a riccia lawn, and then a stream of silica sand. And I'm most likely going with a hairgrass background.

Anyway I'm not the best artist so...

00041718.jpg

2ea81fee.jpg

Tank hasn't made any progress yet, still just heater and background on...

I've gotten an Aqua One AL15D of trademe (I think it has 2x15w bulbs?) which should suffice for lighting 4W per gallon or 30W per 20cm(height) of water. Hopefully it should arrive this week.

BURN has sent me some riccia today :bow: , hopefully I can grow this bunch out enough to have spares for others!

Cheers, I'm finding equipment to be cheap, and as soon as I have enough flora I'll be off. Maybe pop a few ottos in there to help keep algae in check and maybe a nice red fighter, or a school of rasboras !drool: can't wait till this is finished. Only two more exams to go. I look forward to seeing your plans as well.

My Hagen Nutrafin CO2 Natural Plant System arrived today. It's so cool! I could watch the bubbles go up that all day. Riccia was pearling again today, the DIY CO2 Ive got in there is bubbling away nicely.

I started making my DIY canister filter today at a total cost of $20 so far. It won't be complete until tomorrow because I forgot to get some more tubing :facepalm: update to come.

Sorry still no pics of the filter as its not done yet! :P

Total cost of filter so far

Tupperware container - $5

Hailea pump - $15

Clear Vinyl piping - $2.40

Black irrigation elbow - $0.70

Plus silicone.

So a total cost of $23.10, not bad. I plan to use some seeded material from my turtle tank.

When out guy shopping today with my list and storming from place to place like a mission I got

Aquatic mix - $10

Some big pieces of schist some green some black - $0.60!

LCD thermometer - $4.50

Check valve - $3.50

All within half an hour, would've been quicker but there was traffic :evil:

Still no silica sand yet, maybe I'll have to try up north when we go where ever for Christmas!

Okay, so my light was lost and I was sent a heater instead... Will be ordering some dwarf hairgrass and riccia later today.

I put the aquatic mix down first, added some macro nutrients and some nitrophoska.

eef04c74.jpg

Then I cleaned up the glass with some wet paper towels, and stuck the rocks in

c94ca1d2.jpg

48e406c6.jpg

75051ffc.jpg

I'm not sure about the scape yet. Any suggestions?

No progress on the filter yet, still leaks and I'm struggling to seal it up with silicone... I hope I'll get there eventually.