Bee (or wasp) larvae

blueether

I am working back as a beekeeper after about 2 years of no bees (mine or someone elses), before then I had kept my own or worked for beekeepers for over 15 years. It has been good to get back into hives.

This means I have a easy supply of drone larvae/pupae/hatched

Anyone used bee (or wasp larvae) to feed fish, I know drone bee larvae are high in protein and lipids. :sick:

That brings up another question are lipids (fat) good or bad for fish?

Don't feed them too much, they'll get addicted and then they'll do anything for a buzz...

I havew used wasp larvae, instintictively, reptiles and fish recognise this as food. they love it.

if you compare the cost of high quality pellets vs the wasp larva you get from bio supplies - its actually not that bad, however, it is fatty and low in protein compared to pellets.

but its good for fish, larva and pupa has goodies in it that the adult insects may not have.

but like you said, expensive:D

Ok, just feed about 6 drone pupae and 4 larvae to the inanga and kokopu in the 400 lt tank. They were loved.

The large size and soft body of the drone pupae made for very messy eating for the inanga and has clouded the tank a little. The larvae went down better as they broke apart less easily and were a better fit for the mouth size of the inanga. the kokpu just ate them whole :)